Real estate syndication question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real estate syndication question

I was offered the opportunity to invest in a multifamily residential property.  I'm going to pass for a variety of reasons, but I don't have much experience with these kind of deals.  I was curious if this pay structure is typical.  I was offered class B shares which have a higher floor/lower ceiling for earnings.  The person who is putting the deal together is claiming all of the class A shares.  Is the higher earning potential for class A shares an appropriate reimbursement for doing the legwork of putting the deal together?

1. 8% annual, non-compounding preferred return to all investors.
    2. On an annual basis, after the preferred return, any distributable cash flow is split 50/50 between A and B.
    3. Distributions from a sale or refinancing will be made to pay any outstanding preferred return first, followed by a 70/30 split between B/A until Class B members have been paid a 1.7x in the aggregate. After the 1.7x any cash flow thereafter will be split 20/80 between B/A.

That would be a highly uncompetitive split (unless you're getting class A shares). Simply put, run away, this is a joke.

Comment

Thanks Wonka.  The sponsor is putting up 22% as class A shares and the class B shares make up the remaining 78%.  What would be a more appropriate waterfall? 30/70, A/B?

Comment

I was offered the opportunity to invest in a multifamily residential property.  I’m going to pass for a variety of reasons, but I don’t have much experience with these kind of deals.  I was curious if this pay structure is typical.  I was offered class B shares which have a higher floor/lower ceiling for earnings.  The person who is putting the deal together is claiming all of the class A shares.  Is the higher earning potential for class A shares an appropriate reimbursement for doing the legwork of putting the deal together?

1. 8% annual, non-compounding preferred return to all investors.
        2. On an annual basis, after the preferred return, any distributable cash flow is split 50/50 between A and B.
        3. Distributions from a sale or refinancing will be made to pay any outstanding preferred return first, followed by a 70/30 split between B/A until Class B members have been paid a 1.7x in the aggregate. After the 1.7x any cash flow thereafter will be split 20/80 between B/A.

Typical splits are 80/20 and 70/30 after the preferred return. So 50/50 doesn't seem great. Nor does 20/80!
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Thanks Wonka.  The sponsor is putting up 22% as class A shares and the class B shares make up the remaining 78%.  What would be a more appropriate waterfall? 30/70, A/B?

If the sponsor is also an investor, he should get the same terms as the other investors on that capital.
          Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by topher View Post
            but I don't have much experience with these kind of deals.
            This is a problem I am facing. The mathematics and economics of these kind of deals aside, I am struggling to find a safe investment for more syndicated real estate investments. Where are people going to find these kind of investments? Is it more of brokers offering it up-front?

Comment

Is this residential property already built? Because I wonder if part of the investment is hidden fees going to the contractor and developers.

Comment

Working...
              X