X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
    We do every 6 months. Mine resent in march *phew* It hopefully does not change until September. Lots of time to make up lost ground or negotiate if I have too.
    Question about adjustments based upon volumes. All things being equal except for volumes, would you think the change was fair and accept it?
    Of course no one wants a reduction, but how would you "make up lost ground or negotiate"?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Question about adjustments based upon volumes. All things being equal except for volumes, would you think the change was fair and accept it?
      Of course no one wants a reduction, but how would you "make up lost ground or negotiate"?
      Wishful thinking but I would hope that some of the stimulus money would be to support salaries as it would if I were in a small business.

After a quiet few months I expect to have a busier summer then typical. I will not be able to make it all up because there is just not enough time in the day but I can probably get some back.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

I would much rather have a quarterly productivity true up than an annual. Our base pay is approx. 80% of our productivity and can be adjusted. What is the disadvantage?
        certain quarters are overloaded - in fall and winter we are screwed with conferences, residency & fellowship interviews, holidays, etc. making productivity goals impossible. so for your situation, what if you have a low quarter and end up producing less than your base pay draw?
        It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy, I'll get a saw.

Comment

Some departments are furoughing staff, guaranteeing physician salaries, as any productity goals this year are not viable.

Comment

Anyone have any information on how hospital groups are handling this? We're doing phone medicine until our telemed system gets set up, and our numbers and RVUs are going to be down quite a bit. We're basically paid on our RVU production, which will obviously be a lot lower than last year, so I'm curious how other hospital groups are dealing with this. I was told only that the physician compensation team is "looking into the impact that COVID 19 is having", whatever that means.

Comment

Academic hospitalist. They are essentially taking all the moonlighting shifts we had already signed up for and not paying us our contract rate for it. Then made people sign up for more extra shifts and also not currently paying. They are "figuring out" how these will be compensated. Nothing in writing, no timeline. Not sure how this is legal. Im torn between feeling really angry but also grateful I have a job and they are still paying my full base. I do hate that I was told to work extra shifts without compensation (to date), there was nothing voluntary about it. RNs are getting paid OT meanwhile. Internists being treated likely an ugly stepchild per usual.

I feel like this is v different than someone like a surgeon who would be doing nothing and getting paid their based being reassigned to do other clinical work (eg help put in lines in the ICU). They are all grumping about it. Meanwhile we also have staff at home getting paid for sending emails. and virtually no clinical work No talk of big brass paycuts as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Zzyzx View Post

certain quarters are overloaded - in fall and winter we are screwed with conferences, residency & fellowship interviews, holidays, etc. making productivity goals impossible. so for your situation, what if you have a low quarter and end up producing less than your base pay draw?
                I see. Providers in our comp plan generally make more than their base even with a slow quarter (perhaps our production doesn't fluctuate as much as in your field?). My group consists of Ophthalmologists and Optometrists under the same academic umbrella. In our case, it typically it would only affect the size of the quarterly bonus. If a provider produced less than their base, it would end up in withheld monthly salary until the deficit is made whole in addition to a base salary readjustment as our comp plan technically has a base but total compensation is determined solely on wRVU production.

With productivity dropping significantly since mid March, we have already decided to hold the Q2 true up and are likely going to ask providers to take voluntary salary cuts. The production is simply not there so I'm sure most will bite.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckworth View Post
                  Academic hospitalist. They are essentially taking all the moonlighting shifts we had already signed up for and not paying us our contract rate for it. Then made people sign up for more extra shifts and also not currently paying. They are "figuring out" how these will be compensated. Nothing in writing, no timeline. Not sure how this is legal. Im torn between feeling really angry but also grateful I have a job and they are still paying my full base. I do hate that I was told to work extra shifts without compensation (to date), there was nothing voluntary about it. RNs are getting paid OT meanwhile. Internists being treated likely an ugly stepchild per usual.
                  This in no way means any offense to you but thinking that you aren't sure if you should feel angry about being forced to work extra without pay (and possibly risking your health more than normal) shows why physicians no longer run the healthcare system.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDangerZone View Post

If a provider produced less than their base, it would end up in withheld monthly salary until the deficit is made whole in addition to a base salary readjustment as our comp plan technically has a base but total compensation is determined solely on wRVU production.

With productivity dropping significantly since mid March, we have already decided to hold the Q2 true up and are likely going to ask providers to take voluntary salary cuts. The production is simply not there so I'm sure most will bite.
                    yes this is the norm but realize that your base will be taxed at that higher rate despite you "owing" money back to your institution

It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy, I'll get a saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Zzyzx View Post

yes this is the norm but realize that your base will be taxed at that higher rate despite you "owing" money back to your institution
                      I guess if your main gripe is that annual tax withholding could more than it should be, I would still take a quarterly bonus versus an annual lump sum. I also wouldn't request a base increase beyond 70-80%.

I guess the final consideration would be if we are talking an annual bonus amount of 25k or less, it wouldn't make that much of a difference. My production has been ramping up so my base was going to be less than 50% of my comp so it makes a big difference to me to split have that six figure number into quarterly installments and distributed throughout the year rather than all at once.

Comment

Working...
                      X