X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New residency grad no job

Spouse will be completing residency (dermatology) and does not yet have anything lined up post-graduation. We're not going to starve, but for planning purposes I'm trying to figure out the range of dates for when they may be able to start working again. Curious what would be people's base cases and downside cases for when hiring may pick up again.

Welcome to the board. Fantastic user name by the way. ✓✓✓

Any thought of a(nother) fellowship?

My guess as to when hiring will resume: ~2 months after the lock down is up. I postulate people will continue to shy away from most public places until the virus has really dissipated. Doctors will be getting a good amount of non-elective patient visits. I hate to say, maybe I'm naive, but I think a lot of dermatology visits "can wait for now".
    "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

When did your spouse start looking for a job? I'm guessing that many soon-to-be residency and fellowship grads are going to find that the start of their job is going to be delayed at best.

Comment

It shouldn’t be hard to get a job in General Derm. If she didn’t have something set up prior to COVID then I’m sure no one will have her start until the lockdown ends, but I’m sure she could still find a job to sign with. It’s anyone’s guess when the lockdown will end - best case scenario late May, worst case mid Fall in my mind. Once herd immunity is established the lockdown should end.

Comment

There still are plenty of Derm jobs out there. The real question is are you ready to move?
          Left Coast multi specialty group has two general Derm listings, large city, very outdoorsy.
          PM me if partner is interested.
          Last edited by eyecandy; 04-04-2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

I'm sure you'll have opportunities. The guaranteed base is probably going to be lower though given the current COVID situation, but they'll want to lock you in at a 'bargain' salary probably --- and get paid more than me anyways (general internist).

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! I was starting to mentally prepare for 2021, so it's good to know that the people who know a lot more than me are a little more optimistic than that.

Fellowship/Moving: Probably not. We had a specific region we wanted to move to, but that was dependent on my finding employment there (my skills aren't as portable as a physician's). I locked that down in the last couple of months, so my spouse only really recently started the serious part of the search. There were many opportunities here before the stay at home orders started, and this area has (knock on wood) not been hit very badly so far, so hopefully they come back once we beat this thing.

Comment

Agree with the above.

I'm currently a dermpath fellow, and 2/3 seniors had signed contracts a couple months ago (East and West Coast). I'm sure there are still some job listings posted, but who knows if those openings truly still exist?

I do agree with others that Gen Derm will still have a place. There's just such a demand for it, especially in smaller towns.

If interested in the SE, PM me.

Be safe, everyone!

Comment

“. I locked that down in the last couple of months, so my spouse only really recently started the serious part of the search. There were many opportunities here before the stay at home orders started, and this area has (knock on wood) not been hit very badly so far, so hopefully they come back once we beat this thing.”

Comp, job, location: Your update greatly changes the equation. Seems location has taken a much higher weighting. Recruiting costs money. She needs to pursue every opportunity that previously existed at YOUR destination. Keep in mind, your situation may change as well. The “best jobs” are sometimes not advertised. Networking through mentors and former fellows and residents works well. The goal here is to get her interest and availability know when the “green light” for hiring comes on. She may be able to get through the phone interview process and get the interview and offer as soon as the “Stay at home” orders are lifted. Many times, the informal references from networking get you the offer rather than the CV or interview. Even the terms of the offer may be unchanged. Job postings cost money. Search on her own. Your job location should greatly limit the scope of available employers.

Comment

Working...
                  X