X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment benefits for furlough

I never, in a million years, thought that I would be typing the following sentence: I have applied for unemployment benefits.

I have reported elsewhere that I have been furloughed from two contract radiology positions due to the significant volume drop as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. I intend to work for one or both at some time in the future, but I do not know when that will be. Realistically, I expect it to be three to six months out, depending on when the coast is clear for elective diagnostic imaging and imaging-guided procedures and then how quickly volume ramps.

Anyway, I filled out the online application for my home state (MO), where the max benefit is $320/week for 20 weeks. However, the COVID-19 unemployment benefit is $600/week, and I am hoping that I qualify for this, too. If the forum is interested, I will update with any progress or anything I learn along the way.

If anyone else is similarly, presumably, temporarily unemployed, please consider doing the same and report your experience here. Perhaps if I learn enough about the process I could even pull together a guest blog: "Unemployment benefits for docs!"

questions:
    - how hard would it be to be picked up by a hospital group reading studies? is that not in demand?
    - while i understand you qualify and agree you should pursue this, do you have any thoughts on being another burden on the system (paperwork, payout, etc)?
    - im sure you already thought of that, so do you plan to put the money to a different use (paying workers, donations, etc)?

Comment

so you were working essentially prn / independent contractor? Group not providing benefits or any pay through this time?

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
        questions:
        - how hard would it be to be picked up by a hospital group reading studies? is that not in demand?

I can't speak for all hospital systems but a vast majority (if not all) of hospital systems have seen a drastic drop in radiology studies.

Originally posted by Peds View Post
        - while i understand you qualify and agree you should pursue this, do you have any thoughts on being another burden on the system (paperwork, payout, etc)?
        Ain't no shame in getting what you're due.

Comment

Filed for my wife. It's unclear if she'll be eligible as my spouse, but that sure didn't slow then down charging us for unemployment for her and me.

Comment

Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post
            I ,,,,,,,"
            I am curious as to the reason. I don't think you really need the money, considering your past posting of your finances.
            Is it because you want to test the system out for a guest post or to know more about it. Are you planning to use the money for yourself or donate to charity.

Comment

Is the unemployment benefit increase restricted based on income like the straight $600 is?

Comment

Originally posted by Kamban View Post

I am curious as to the reason.
                Why would he not? You probably won't need your social security when you are eligible but I'm guessing you're going to take it.

Comment

I would definitely file if I qualified. It's like getting social security when you are older or maximizing your deductions, might as well get as much as you are due from the system. I think that this 600 dollar/week bonus idea was a bad idea for the government. I can't see many people receiving it willing to re-enter the workforce if their salary/take home pay is going to be less then the 600 dollar/week bonus. I am worried about my nanny quitting and filing for the benefit.

Comment

It's an additional $600/wk from my understanding from the bailout. My work encouraged all employees and employed physicians to file for unemployment due to work our decrease.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by nephron View Post
                      I think that this 600 dollar/week bonus idea was a bad idea for the government. I can't see many people receiving it willing to re-enter the workforce if their salary/take home pay is going to be less then the 600 dollar/week bonus. I am worried about my nanny quitting and filing for the benefit.
                      I think the unemployment stimulus is only for 3 months, it's not permanent. Otherwise, what you said may occur.

Comment

Originally posted by ACN View Post
                        It's an additional $600/wk from my understanding from the bailout. My work encouraged all employees and employed physicians to file for unemployment due to work our decrease.

​​​
                        You can apply for unemployment because of decreased work load? I was under the impression you need to actually lose your job?

Comment

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

You can apply for unemployment because of decreased work load? I was under the impression you need to actually lose your job?
                          I know that some states do have partial unemployment but I doubt any physicians with a typical income would qualify unless they get their compensation cut by like 99%.

Comment

Is it $320/wk + $600/wk? Or just the $600/wk?

Comment

Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post
                              Is it $320/wk + $600/wk? Or just the $600/wk?
                              You get the weekly amount from your state, plus the stimulus.

So both.
                              Last edited by xraygoggles; 04-01-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X