X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FMLA Small Practice Implications

If I understand correctly employees, other than healthcare providers not sure why that exclusion, are eligible for 12 weeks of sick leave? Although this sounds good on paper I'm thinking a disaster for owners of small businesses.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic

The employers do get a tax credit for wages paid to the employee on COVID-related FMLA, but the problem would be staffing. In a small office, losing a couple of employees for up to 12 weeks is a big issue. Generally the quarantines are just 2 weeks though, and if I read it right the medical leave required is 80 hours. The 12 week requirement is for staying home with children.

The policy does say this though: Small businesses with fewer than 50 employees may qualify for exemption from the requirement to provide leave due to school closings or child care unavailability if the leave requirements would jeopardize the viability of the business as a going concern.

Comment

Seems like 12 weeks is a long time especially if the small business is required to front the payroll in addition to the lack of available staff. What about those without children? Will they be burdened with doing double the work while their coworker is out on paid leave for childcare? Messy, an understatement I know.

Comment

I love being retired.

Comment

Working...
        X