• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still kinda a furlough.....

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/49...teens-over?amp

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
      Amazon announced hiring 100k people - if it wasn't big already covid19 has handed our future to Amazon on a platter.

Really, US should just nationalize Amazon now while it can to keep the country on a lockdown position.

But then again -- there's this: https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/20...us-mxp-vpx.hln
      Maybe I can get a job at Amazon after my pay gets cut?

Comment

Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

Maybe I can get a job at Amazon after my pay gets cut?
        yeah you have fun with that. lemme know how it goes with peeing into a jar
        It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy, I'll get a saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
          Rookie mistake. You have to take the phone before strangling the friend.

Somewhat ironic that he is mad that they are not social distancing yet he approaches them...

Like when I yell at my kids for yelling...

Comment

Do you have to go back to work for an employer once the furlough is over?

Comment

I heard some chatter before about making a "how-to" for unemployment for white coats--has that materialized? I found myself abruptly unemployed for the last while during all this craziness, and have filed for unemployment... the problem is all of the questions they ask are not geared for physicians at all, understandably. I have to certify that I'm looking for employment, which I was, but I have now found a job. Do I put "hired" in response to my job searching activities? Do they understand that credentialing at a new hospital takes a while and that I will still be unemployed for at least a month or two? These weekly claim forms keep asking what I'm doing to find a job, but I have found one. What a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity43 View Post
                I heard some chatter before about making a "how-to" for unemployment for white coats--has that materialized? I found myself abruptly unemployed for the last while during all this craziness, and have filed for unemployment... the problem is all of the questions they ask are not geared for physicians at all, understandably. I have to certify that I'm looking for employment, which I was, but I have now found a job. Do I put "hired" in response to my job searching activities? Do they understand that credentialing at a new hospital takes a while and that I will still be unemployed for at least a month or two? These weekly claim forms keep asking what I'm doing to find a job, but I have found one. What a mess.
                I agree that the unemployment insurance program was not designed for doctors. It seems better fit for blue collar workers and waiters/waitresses. Per the CARES Act, we did not have to indicate that we were actively searching for a job until June 1. At that time, in my state, I am required to make three job contacts per week in order to claim the weekly benefit. I plan to contact by email two doc leaders in practices from which I am furloughed and a random Locum tenens representative, each week, until I return to work on July 6.

If I were you, I would do the same. Make email contacts (as many as required) to document that you are seeking or planning returning to practice. I think that the likelihood of anyone checking up on this is low, especially given how overwhelmed the unemployment insurance departments are in all of the states.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity43 View Post
                  Unemployment questions for physicians:

1) Have you cut back on visits from your maid recently?
                  2) Is the Ferrari still running OK?
                  3) Are you still able to make the payments for your toddler’s private school that costs more than most 4-year private collages?
                  4) How much has your international travel schedule been effected by this hardship?

Final question: Have you resorted to stealing jello cups and turkey sandwiches from the hospital yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

3) Are you still able to make the payments for your toddler’s private school that costs more than most 4-year private collages?
                    4) How much has your international travel schedule been effected by this hardship?

Final question: Have you resorted to stealing jello cups and turkey sandwiches from the hospital yet?

1) Yes
                    2) No Ferrari. Have not driven the Nissan Leaf in over two months.
                    3) No toddlers, still plan to pay for private college for two in the fall.
                    4) Not by hardship but by logistics.

Final: No, but I would not eat those things anyway. I have not been to the Hospital.

I get your point. You will be happy to know that there is a bill that has been introduced in the Senate to stop paying unemployment insurance benefit to those earning over $1M (all sources) annually. Fortunately, I no longer fall into that category.

But to push back, the partners in my former practice were each given (so far), between PPP and the HHS payment, approximately $50,000 each and I am supposed to feel guilty for being furloughed, kicked to the curb, and receiving $7200?

Comment

• Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

1) Yes
                      2) No Ferrari. Have not driven the Nissan Leaf in over two months.
                      3) No toddlers, still plan to pay for private college for two in the fall.
                      4) Not by hardship but by logistics.

Final: No, but I would not eat those things anyway. I have not been to the Hospital.

I get your point. You will be happy to know that there is a bill that has been introduced in the Senate to stop paying unemployment insurance benefit to those earning over $1M (all sources) annually. Fortunately, I no longer fall into that category.

But to push back, the partners in my former practice were each given (so far), between PPP and the HHS payment, approximately $50,000 each and I am supposed to feel guilty for being furloughed, kicked to the curb, and receiving $7200?
                      I’m not saying we don’t have the right to collect. I just feel really bad about the people who have to make decisions like: “How am I going to get gas for the car this week, and a birthday gift for my kid?” Or, “ I hope they don’t change the locks because I can’t pay the rent anytime soon.” Doctor hardship is often a different kind of hardship, we won’t be rationing our canned beans for a while to get through, but some people will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

1.) I am the maid.
                        2.) More like Pontiac Fiero.
                        3.) Our children will not be getting private school education.
                        4.) None. We didn't have any international trips scheduled and still don't.

Bonus: That's always been my go-to.

Comment

1. My vacuum started sounding even louder this morning. But no smoke so whatever.
                          2. The 2001 import compact sedan just hit 254,000 miles. But that rust hole is getting larger. Along with the dozens of others.
                          3. "I'm so unemployed I decided not to have children."
                          4. I was going to do the 9 hour drive to Canada to visit family. Those plans are shot to heck now...

Final: "yet"??? Let's just say my usage of hospital food has not increased not decreased in >9 months.
                          "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

I’m not saying we don’t have the right to collect. I just feel really bad about the people who have to make decisions like: “How am I going to get gas for the car this week, and a birthday gift for my kid?” Or, “ I hope they don’t change the locks because I can’t pay the rent anytime soon.” Doctor hardship is often a different kind of hardship, we won’t be rationing our canned beans for a while to get through, but some people will.
                            Sentiment is admirable. Just a reminder, you paid (on your behalf) unemployment insurance for years. Collect it and vote for someone that will cease using the taxes you pay on the additional benefits. If you wish to make a charitable contribution in a like amount, that allows you to make a donation as you wish. Likely someone you know could use the extra funds. You can forget the taxes and gift it yourself. From that standpoint, feel free to donate to someone that needs gas money or a gift for the the birthday gift. Not being snarky, I trust your good intentions much more than I trust the governments and the political points that have come into play.
                            Collecting insurance is not a guilt, neither is a helping hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicity43 View Post
                              Impo, you should not consider yourself “employed” until you are guaranteed a paycheck. In the meantime and during credentialing, you may want to respond “in process” or even that you are looking for employment.

fwiw, I asked our housekeeper to skip a bi-weekly cleaning when my (79-yo with bladder cancer) hubs had a bad cold but paid her, to which she strenuously objected but finally accepted. She would work for free if I needed help and is like family. No desire for a Ferrari. Other questions irrelevant.

Good luck!
                              Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical and high-income professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

• “She would work for free if I needed help and is like family”
                                We had a home health aid for 5 years that worked a split shift of 6 hours per day 5 days per week caring for a BIL. To make a long story short, come to find out after hospice she had turned this into a 24/7 responsibility to check up on him. Found her spending as much time as possible at hospice.
                                Refused pay, “not working”.
                                A much better “friend” than family. We stay in touch and “gift” when we find a need. We paid her cheap wages when family failed. Eye opening experience. True colors. Unexpected angel.

Comment

Working...
                                X