X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post
    CA is not terrible for physicians, just HCOL. High taxes are the price you pay for perfect weather year round. You get used to it after a while.

A Kaiser job would be a golden ticket for you, if you could somehow find your way into one. Keep in mind norcal and socal kaiser are like two different companies with different comp/benefit packages.

Based on my past experience, the recruiters usually have jobs in hard to fill areas, which are usually inland, rural, etc. And like StarTrekDoc said above, there really is no point moving to CA if you don't get to live in the parts of the state which make it so pleasant to be here in the first place.
    I spoke with one of their recruiters a few years ago and they had positions for PRN urgent care docs,I am guessing there would plenty of requests for weekends and Hols in the better areas, maybe do that for a few months, get to know the opportunities and area before making a decision to take something more perm

cheers for your thoughts guys, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by The Doc View Post

Thats a good question, I guess it depends on disposable income, FIRE plans etc, but a tiny home over 1 mill sounds like a lot ..... I am thinking like a $600k to $700 k for a small 3 bedroomed house not too far from Irvine for example with good schools
      That’s going to be hard to beat in BA. It was hard to stick to that budget several years ago when I bought and my home is worth 400-500k more now! Maybe far East bay like Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Brentwood. I’d probably stick near family if that’s a draw.

Comment

Thats a good question, I guess it depends on disposable income, FIRE plans etc, but a tiny home over 1 mill sounds like a lot ..... I am thinking like a $600k to $700 k for a small 3 bedroomed house not too far from Irvine for example with good schools
        You might want to spend some time on Zillow or Redfin to see just how (un)realistic this is. Make sure the Greatschools score is a 7 or higher if you want a decent school.

Comment

Irvine area is not cheap. The schools are fantastic, particularly University High School, Troy High School and Sunnyhills High School. The latter two schools are in north Orange County (Fullerton, Brea, Yorba Linda area). UHS is in Irvine.

You will find the housing cheaper in north OC than in south OC in general. Some areas such as Santa Ana are being nicely built up (gentrified) and are much more desirable than they once were. If you're willing to live more inland in Corona or Riverside then your COL will go down a bit.

Comment

Any recommendation for the bay area? Rent vs buy?

Comment

Irvine is hugely overrated anyway. And those schools might be "great", but they're also stupidly competitive thanks to the dog-eat-dog educational culture that comes from the Asian presence there. Do yourself a favor and look at Laguna Hills/Niguel, Lake Forest, and Mission Viejo area... cheaper than Irvine, still good schools, more personality.

Comment

Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
                Irvine is hugely overrated anyway. And those schools might be "great", but they're also stupidly competitive thanks to the dog-eat-dog educational culture that comes from the Asian presence there. Do yourself a favor and look at Laguna Hills/Niguel, Lake Forest, and Mission Viejo area... cheaper than Irvine, still good schools, more personality.
                I’d like to hear more about the dog eat dog educational culture of Asians.

Comment

Ha... I have friends from the area. Hearing their stories, I'm very glad I didn't go to an ultra-competitive school like the ones formerly listed. Imo at a certain point there's. a lot of stress for not a lot of gain.

Comment

Working...
                  X