X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California jobs

I'm considering moving to the West coast from the East coast and I've heard that California is terrible for physicians in terms of jobs
    I was wondering if anybody has any experience working in California. I'm family medicine trained and preferred to work in urgent care or in the emergency department fast track setting.

I would prefer to live in Orange county however I'm prepared to drive an hour either way.

should I just contact a recruiter and will they know most of the good jobs that are available or should I contact the urgent cares directly.

If you know the area, then I would contact them directly. Recruiters are expensive and better to get that money yourself. I work in Northern California, which feels like a million miles away from Orange County. Know that a FP doc, even working in urgent care setting, may have a difficult time in Orange County due to the housing costs there.
    I feel like I have a great deal, in terms of working, in California. So I would not agree with the "terrible for physicians" theme. Also, remember a drive of one hour either direction in Orange County could only be 10 miles....

Comment

It probably depends why you want to move and if you are the only source of income. I don’t know that CA is so terrible for docs but housing is outrageous and state taxes are high. People want to live and work in the big cities so you probably have less negotiating power. It’s certainly not a great financial decision but I live in northern CA and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else (and feel am doing great financially). I’d contact places you want to work directly.

Comment

Before you get too locked in on California jobs, please run the numbers on California taxes and California cost of housing / living.

Ocean view jobs and housing are quite nice. SoCal weather can be lovely. Make sure you know what the total cost of this luxury good is and what you're giving up by not living in Tampa or Boise or Austin or Santa Fe or etc.

If you or your spouse still have student loan debt, then be doubly certain to run the numbers on the true total cost of moving to the Peoples' Republic of California. Just three or five years in a lower cost, higher paying state could let you pay off your student loan debt and front load your retirement accounts and/or 529 plans.

If you do move to California, use your back door Roth but keep your other retirement accounts traditional rather than Roth. You'll need every bit of tax savings you can get. Plus, if you move or retire to a low or no income tax state, you can convert from traditional to Roth in a low income year and arbitrage both tax brackets and state tax rates.

Comment

Really depends on what your priorities are. We've been mostly CA. Did our training in Detroit/Ann arbor and then moved to Central valley x 14 years before landing in San Diego.

It's really expensive land and housing here. Pay is about the same and can find niches of higher pay but many are middle road pay compared to rest of nation...so there's a fair amount of sunshine tax throughout the state

Imho, if you're not coastline or in the foothills, have to ask what's the long term strategy for being in Cali...

But we wouldn't give up our San Diego digs for anything cause we truly don't mind paying the sunshine tax.

Comment

Originally posted by SLC OB View Post
            If you know the area, then I would contact them directly. Recruiters are expensive and better to get that money yourself. I work in Northern California, which feels like a million miles away from Orange County. Know that a FP doc, even working in urgent care setting, may have a difficult time in Orange County due to the housing costs there.
            I feel like I have a great deal, in terms of working, in California. So I would not agree with the "terrible for physicians" theme. Also, remember a drive of one hour either direction in Orange County could only be 10 miles....
            I don't know the area too well, have family in Orange county, I can live outside outside orange county too, I assume it's cheaper and better pay the more I move inland, for 4 years can live anywhere as child is only 10 months old so school district not important.

We do have several friends living in northern California , Can you get reasonably priced housing and reasonably paying jobs in good school districts there from your experience,? Could you name any of these areas?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by EH View Post
              It probably depends why you want to move and if you are the only source of income. I don’t know that CA is so terrible for docs but housing is outrageous and state taxes are high. People want to live and work in the big cities so you probably have less negotiating power. It’s certainly not a great financial decision but I live in northern CA and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else (and feel am doing great financially). I’d contact places you want to work directly.
              Do you mind recommending some areas that you feel might be reasonable cost of living and pay for physicians? Ta

Comment

Originally posted by Hank View Post
                Before you get too locked in on California jobs, please run the numbers on California taxes and California cost of housing / living.

Ocean view jobs and housing are quite nice. SoCal weather can be lovely. Make sure you know what the total cost of this luxury good is and what you're giving up by not living in Tampa or Boise or Austin or Santa Fe or etc.

If you or your spouse still have student loan debt, then be doubly certain to run the numbers on the true total cost of moving to the Peoples' Republic of California. Just three or five years in a lower cost, higher paying state could let you pay off your student loan debt and front load your retirement accounts and/or 529 plans.

If you do move to California, use your back door Roth but keep your other retirement accounts traditional rather than Roth. You'll need every bit of tax savings you can get. Plus, if you move or retire to a low or no income tax state, you can convert from traditional to Roth in a low income year and arbitrage both tax brackets and state tax rates.
                Don't have any student loans any longer . have some family in southern California and friends living in northern California also the weather we're hoping to get away from the East coast.

I don't know either area too well but I'm thinking from the previous comments I should just contact the urgent cares directly.
                I was also thinking maybe I could find physicians who already know the area well and ask them. I guess I could just call the urgent Care and ask to speak to the physician who is working there. Appreciate your thoughts

Comment

“ the weather we're hoping to get away from the East coast”
                  For sure climate is a regional thing. Weather is also impacted by oceans. Just speculating it sounds like it’s New England vs SoCal. Just an observation, a very small percentage of residents actually ever dip a toe in the ocean.
                  I would simply suggest you scan the southern states and explore a few climate and cities that might appeal.
                  Compensation, job, location.
                  Urgent Care jobs are kind of available anywhere.
                  I would suggest you expand your options and seriously explore a few more options and locations. Seems like you are a little biased to what is familiar. That can be a mistake.
                  Winter in Seattle, Denver, SLC, St Louis, Chicago and Boston are completely different. Same is true for southern cities. Put north/south on your radar too.
                  For all I know, Nashville or Allen, Tx (Dallas) might be perfect, from a location standpoint. The point is to explore the location options since that is your motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doc View Post

Do you mind recommending some areas that you feel might be reasonable cost of living and pay for physicians? Ta
                    I'm in Ventura County(between LA and Santa Barbara County). We like it. Beach 20-30 min drive. Tons of mountains for MTB'ing which is my thing. Crowded but not as crowded as LA or Bay area. Pricey but not compared to LA, SF, Santa Barbara. You can find affordable stuff as a physician. 70 mi from Orange county, but with LA traffic that trip can be 1.5-4 hours.

Comment

I'm in Norcal, I like it. Good pay, but I'm in a niche. We're back to having a drought, though. Less flowers in the foothills.

Comment

CA is not terrible for physicians, just HCOL. High taxes are the price you pay for perfect weather year round. You get used to it after a while.

A Kaiser job would be a golden ticket for you, if you could somehow find your way into one. Keep in mind norcal and socal kaiser are like two different companies with different comp/benefit packages.

Based on my past experience, the recruiters usually have jobs in hard to fill areas, which are usually inland, rural, etc. And like StarTrekDoc said above, there really is no point moving to CA if you don't get to live in the parts of the state which make it so pleasant to be here in the first place.

Comment

Don't have any student loans any longer . have some family in southern California and friends living in northern California also the weather we're hoping to get away from the East coast.

I don't know either area too well but I'm thinking from the previous comments I should just contact the urgent cares directly.
                          I was also thinking maybe I could find physicians who already know the area well and ask them. I guess I could just call the urgent Care and ask to speak to the physician who is working there. Appreciate your thoughts
                          I sent you a PM.

I am a hospitalist who works in Orange County. I work for a large local multi-speciality group which includes Urgent Care doctors. I can pass on your information to see if they are recruiting.

Not to hijack the thread, but we are also looking to hire a day time hospitalist to replace one of our retiring doctors. PM me if interested in learning more!

Comment

I don't know the area too well, have family in Orange county, I can live outside outside orange county too, I assume it's cheaper and better pay the more I move inland, for 4 years can live anywhere as child is only 10 months old so school district not important.

We do have several friends living in northern California , Can you get reasonably priced housing and reasonably paying jobs in good school districts there from your experience,? Could you name any of these areas?

Thanks
                            What do you consider reasonably priced?? My tiny home is worth over 1m now. It’s crazy. Some areas that 1m will buy you a little more but most areas near me will cost 1.2-1.5.

Comment

Originally posted by EH View Post

What do you consider reasonably priced?? My tiny home is worth over 1m now. It’s crazy. Some areas that 1m will buy you a little more but most areas near me will cost 1.2-1.5.
                              Thats a good question, I guess it depends on disposable income, FIRE plans etc, but a tiny home over 1 mill sounds like a lot ..... I am thinking like a $600k to $700 k for a small 3 bedroomed house not too far from Irvine for example with good schools

Comment

Working...
                              X