Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contract renegotiation - Radiology

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Jon Morris, JD, MBA View Post
    Your wRVU rate is a few dollars below the MGMA median (the most commonly used starting point for building compensation models). At your level of production, a well-aligned compensation plan should produce approximately $620,000 of compensation. Do you get paid for any of the call coverage you provide?
    Thanks for the info re: MGMA median. Given your figure of $620,000, I assume most recent MGMA median is around $53.45 / wRVU? Is this for the southern region or US as a whole?

    We do not get paid for any call coverage.

    Comment


    • #32
      Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know how things progress.

      Comment


      • #33
        Any updates?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Turf Doc View Post
          Any updates?
          I was just about to post yesterday, but was too busy.

          The 3rd rad has had a change of heart. Essentially, he has told the hospital that he will stay if we transition to VRAD finals instead of prelims, allowing greater flexibility in our work schedule.

          The hospital has been dragging their feet, as expected. We just met with them this week and discussed reworking our entire contract. The hospital essentially committed to nothing during the meeting; however, I believe they will agree to VRAD finals to keep the 3rd rad.

          When we discussed compensation, administration at first didn't even want to discuss the topic (giving some B.S. that they didn't want to negotiate a new contract given an "impending recession"). Essentially, they agreed to contact whatever firm they use for compensation analysis and meet again in May. At the meeting in May, they suggested that we could conference call with their firm they use for compensation analysis.

          At the meeting, I presented data from multiple national surveys. I also showed compensation structure from radiology group in nearby larger town (300k population). I still know several rads in that group. They integrated with the hospital in 2019-2020. Supposedly their compensation is at $58, $60, and $62 per wRVU for body, neuro, and IR respectively.

          The 3 rads here are negotiating the new contract together. We have impressed to administration that the fall of one of us essentially crumbles the entire group.

          I have researched compensation figures to the best of my knowledge. However, given the hospital's apparent desire to drag their feet and suggest a conference call with their firm, I think we need to have a professional compensation analysis. I'm not sure that we need our entire contract reviewed; however, I want to be able to go into that meeting with a professional analysis done (not just my research). We potentially could even conference in a representative from whatever service we use.

          I have looked a little at the WCI recommended contract firms. Does anyone know which of the recommended firms would best be able to perform a compensation analysis of our rural practice? I thought about using Contract Diagnostics. Or is there a better option?

          Thanks again for the help. Chad.

          Comment


          • #35
            Large organizations ALWAYS move slowly. Often grinding the other side into acquiescence. Stay strong.

            Great idea on getting your own compensation analysis. The hospital's analysis will obviously be lower than expected. If you have data to negotiate against you're doing well.

            Good luck, and thanks for the update.

            Comment


            • #36
              This was sounds like a terrible job. It was not great before one partner was ready to leave. It would be even worse with just 3 people.
              The hospital needs you and your colleagues. They should be subsidizing your compensation to keep enough rads around to run the place. If they are in such straights that they cannot make a competitive offer, then they will be doing what some other small places are doing- cobbling together coverage with VRad and locums, never sure they will have enough to keep going. It will be nearly impossible to replace you if you leave.
              But you may have to leave.

              Comment


              • #37
                Is the hospital OK with Vrad final reads? Experience with multiple telerad companies thus far has not been positive. Slow TAT (always more than expected) with pretty bad misses. Not talking pulmonary nodules here, like large vessel occlusion, choledocho, etc.

                Doesn't further reliance on telerads also decrease your bargaining spot? What is to stop them from employing a single IR person to do the procedures and some DR and then having the rest of the diagnostic work done by telerads? the telerads night coverage seems like both a blessing and a curse to me

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Panscan View Post
                  Is the hospital OK with Vrad final reads? Experience with multiple telerad companies thus far has not been positive. Slow TAT (always more than expected) with pretty bad misses. Not talking pulmonary nodules here, like large vessel occlusion, choledocho, etc.

                  Doesn't further reliance on telerads also decrease your bargaining spot? What is to stop them from employing a single IR person to do the procedures and some DR and then having the rest of the diagnostic work done by telerads? the telerads night coverage seems like both a blessing and a curse to me
                  As a neurologist, I do not trust any of the VRADs at my hospital. I read my own studies when I am on call. They have missed hemorrhages and never see LVOs! People call me to over-read radiologists sometimes at night (which should never happen... out of my scope).

                  It sounds like OP wants better work life balance with fair compensation. I have no idea what the radiology numbers are like but you do so many wRVUs compared to me and I feel pretty busy. For some perspective, I am a non-proceduralist. I am on call 1:4. I get compensation as a hospital employed doctor. My pay comes from base clinical pay + medical director stipend + call pay + wRVU productivity bonus. When I divide my total compensation by wRVU I get paid ~$64.50/wRVU. I am in the Northeast in a saturated market. My conclusion, you are vastly underpaid and underappreciated. They have to be making so much money off your hard work. I like how you guys are uniting. I was much more replaceable than you all and I threatened to walk and got a 20% raise.

                  Comment


                  • #39

                    Your focus is “Compensation Analysis” not “Contract Review”. I would suggest you start with the WCI vendors . Probably need to call several or a healthcare attorney. Data (maybe more than MGMA), analysis, and maybe some representation. You want value for in-depth specific advice on compensation.. Ask for that.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by afan View Post
                      This was sounds like a terrible job. It was not great before one partner was ready to leave. It would be even worse with just 3 people.
                      The hospital needs you and your colleagues. They should be subsidizing your compensation to keep enough rads around to run the place. If they are in such straights that they cannot make a competitive offer, then they will be doing what some other small places are doing- cobbling together coverage with VRad and locums, never sure they will have enough to keep going. It will be nearly impossible to replace you if you leave.
                      But you may have to leave.
                      Thanks for the advice.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Panscan View Post
                        Is the hospital OK with Vrad final reads? Experience with multiple telerad companies thus far has not been positive. Slow TAT (always more than expected) with pretty bad misses. Not talking pulmonary nodules here, like large vessel occlusion, choledocho, etc.

                        Doesn't further reliance on telerads also decrease your bargaining spot? What is to stop them from employing a single IR person to do the procedures and some DR and then having the rest of the diagnostic work done by telerads? the telerads night coverage seems like both a blessing and a curse to me
                        Personally, I don't really want VRAD finals. I'd prefer to stay with prelims. I don't want the salary reduction.

                        In the 5 yrs I've been employed at this hospital, they have been horribly opposed to VRAD finals. Essentially - they trust our reports and don't trust VRAD. 6 months ago, the hospital was looking to add a 4th rad specifically for the purpose of eliminating VRAD entirely.

                        The 3rd rad has made it clear that he is walking if the hospital doesn't do VRAD finals. As such, I think the hospital will agree. His wife is also a physician and the income is less important to him. He wants an improvement in lifestyle.

                        We are looking at the option of doing VRAD finals sometimes and VRAD prelims other times. However, I don't know if VRAD can accomplish this. Furthermore, this might be too confusing to the techs.

                        VRAD taking over a group is always a fear of radiology groups. However,
                        1) This is not VRAD's strategy. They try to avoid this. Would certainly hurt their image.
                        2) The hospital DOESN'T want this. They like our reads, our service, and how we interact with the medical community. They want to minimize VRAD finals at all costs.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by ChristopherMD20 View Post

                          As a neurologist, I do not trust any of the VRADs at my hospital. I read my own studies when I am on call. They have missed hemorrhages and never see LVOs! People call me to over-read radiologists sometimes at night (which should never happen... out of my scope).

                          It sounds like OP wants better work life balance with fair compensation. I have no idea what the radiology numbers are like but you do so many wRVUs compared to me and I feel pretty busy. For some perspective, I am a non-proceduralist. I am on call 1:4. I get compensation as a hospital employed doctor. My pay comes from base clinical pay + medical director stipend + call pay + wRVU productivity bonus. When I divide my total compensation by wRVU I get paid ~$64.50/wRVU. I am in the Northeast in a saturated market. My conclusion, you are vastly underpaid and underappreciated. They have to be making so much money off your hard work. I like how you guys are uniting. I was much more replaceable than you all and I threatened to walk and got a 20% raise.
                          I certainly don't want to be a headache or problem for the hospital. However, I want to be compensated fairly for the work I do. And there is certainly a premium to be paid for working at a rural facility.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Your focus is “Compensation Analysis” not “Contract Review”. I would suggest you start with the WCI vendors . Probably need to call several or a healthcare attorney. Data (maybe more than MGMA), analysis, and maybe some representation. You want value for in-depth specific advice on compensation.. Ask for that.
                            Thank you for the advice. I will start with the 4 WCI recommended contract firms and see what they have to say. I may also look for local healthcare attorneys.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X