Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Opinion

Hi all,
    PGY-2 internal medicine here with no student loans, 6+ month emergency fund in place, putting 20% away in retirement accounts, saving ~70% of each paycheck in HYSA. Plan to do an oncology fellowship which is another 4 years til I become a full time attending earning the big bucks. I have an old beater 2004 Honda that I have driven to the ground with 200K miles in and its getting to the point where the AC is giving out and now making weird noises. I think its time for a new (used) car - I was thinking of budgeting ~17K for a used car -> any thoughts on a Lexus vs Acura? I wanted something that I can drive around for another 10 years but maybe splurge a little now.

My wife and I both daily drive Acuras and have had nothing but great experiences with them. I do the recommended maintenance and fluid changes and we really haven't had any other issues. Why are you looking at Lexus and Acura vs. Toyota and Honda?

Comment

Acura past 22 years....

Comment

No particular reason, wanted to splurge a little on something I can reliably for the next 10 years

Comment

Originally posted by skuggs13 View Post
          No particular reason, wanted to splurge a little on something I can reliably for the next 10 years
          Any of those should be reliable for 10 years minimum. Any particular models you're looking at? I'm sure each model has some issues that seem more common than others so may not be a bad idea to do a bit of research.

Comment

I fully believe that the luxury brands aren’t that much different than their regular brand and you just pay extra for the badging.

i would much rather get a high trim toyota/Honda than a low trim Lexus/Acura for about the same price.

Comment

I feel like Acura is kind of in the sweet spot of 'slightly nicer but still not pretentious Honda'. Worth the price premium vs a Honda? Depends on your priorities.

Personally, in our case, I preferred the RDX with the proven Honda V6 vs the Honda CR-V which has a smaller turbo 4-cylinder engine (and which has had some reliability issues, as I have heard.)

Comment

We have had two Acuras over the years (2005 MDX and 2013 ILX, the latter currently driven by my son), and both have performed well and held up well over time. We might still have the 2005 MDX, but my wife was tired of driving around in the car that both kids either vomited in or crashed around in while learning to drive. It looked like *Hades, but that car was a beast.

Comment

not really a fan of SUV's as I dont have any children or plan to for a while. I was thinking along the lines of an ILX

Comment

Actually on second thought, the newer honda accord's are pretty sweet!

Comment

I would get the top model Accord rather than the base to mid model Acura.

Comment

Originally posted by skuggs13 View Post
                        Actually on second thought, the newer honda accord's are pretty sweet!
                        Yeah, they definitely are. I really like them - I've always thought the current generation looked like a much more premium vehicle than its price would suggest. Wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

One of the cars I've always sort of wished I owned was a mid-2000's Acura TL. Just a very handsome, understated design that I think has held up very well, plus 280 hp and a 6-speed manual in the Type-S. If I found myself needing a decent $5000 car I could count on to last a few years, it'd be my pick.

Comment

^^^ The older TL is a darn good looking car.

No interest in a Mazda 6? I think they look incredible. And I drove one a few days a few weeks ago. Highly recommended.

I'm a fan of Honda/Acura since a relative's 2007 Odyssey is doing absolutely fantastic.
                          "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

I will voice the minority opinion from this forum: buy new and get whatever you want.

If I read your post correctly, you have no debt, have a huge Efund and are living on 10% of your paycheck. You have further demonstrated that you will drive a car into the ground. Go ahead and splurge.

As an aside, why are you piling such a large amount of your income into HYSA vs investing?

Comment

I've been told the Miata is the way to go for economical sporty car. Not even joking.

Comment

Working...
                              X