Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that just because you did an AP and got a 4 or even a 5 on that subject does not mean you are as well prepared as the ones who took the same class in college.
    But what I have seen is that people try to save money, even with state colleges and doing these AP and college credit courses in high school saves you a semester or even a year of fees. The true 1st and top 2nd tier colleges don't recognize the AP as a way to skip a semester ( they want that full 4 years of tuition) but still look at AP classes taken during high school.
    From grading on how many AP level courses and exams the student took, colleges now look at how many were offered in your school and how many you took ( according to one college admission officer who spoke in her school). Unfortunately the IB program offers 6 in 11th grade and hence you are expected to do all if you want to be like your peers. I agree that it is just added stress.
    I had no idea until today what those AP exams were and asked her this evening. It is English, Economics, Psychology, Calculus, US history and Physics -Mech. Luckily she took Spanish last year and AP Chemistry and AP Physics-Electrical and electronics is next year. What can they test in 45 minutes, I don't know.
    Last edited by Kamban; 04-09-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Yeah --- rigor is part of the equation which is crazy -- so if you're in a competitive school that's resource rich. If you don't go crazy and take 6 APs since 12 offered over the HS years, you're suddenly perceived as lesser than one who's taken the 1 of 1 AP course in the other school. That makes no sense.

I wouldn't penalize the student taking the max; but likewise I'm not going to penalize the student who realizes academics isn't everything.

We actually pulled my daughter back from her 3 APs this year to drop down a little to find more balance. Her rigor is affected like pointed out, but it allowed her bandwidth and balance to commit to her cheer and family obligations. Sure it may affect her 'rigor', but I'm good with that as so is she.

9 APs isn't a semester - that's sophmore standing.

Comment

Maybe I will feel different when my kids get to the teen years. But I think it is good that there is so much offered that it is nearly impossible to do it all. If the difficulty scale stop that merely just hard you cannot separate the smart students from the truly exceptional. There has to be an "insane mode" to allow those truly exceptional kids to show through the pack. Unfortunately kids that are not truly exceptional try to keep up due to peer pressure or parental pressure and that is where the real trouble is.

I'm not focusing this comment on anybody in particular but I think we all can be guilty thinking our kids are truly exceptional when they are actually just smarter than average.

Comment

Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
          Yeah --- rigor is part of the equation which is crazy -- so if you're in a competitive school that's resource rich. If you don't go crazy and take 6 APs since 12 offered over the HS years, you're suddenly perceived as lesser than one who's taken the 1 of 1 AP course in the other school. That makes no sense.
          I wouldn't penalize the student taking the max; but likewise I'm not going to penalize the student who realizes academics isn't everything.
          We actually pulled my daughter back from her 3 APs this year to drop down a little to find more balance. Her rigor is affected like pointed out, but it allowed her bandwidth and balance to commit to her cheer and family obligations. Sure it may affect her 'rigor', but I'm good with that as so is she.
          9 APs isn't a semester - that's sophmore standing.
          The problem is a decent AP class involves probably 2 hrs outside of class everyday. Three at a time and you also of other classes. Don't fall behind because you will never catch up. Throw in a fun activity and hope its not a really competitive (cheer, instrument, sports) thing. Sorry, it's too much. Oh, don't forget a few clubs with leadership rolls to sprinkle on that application. It is beyond rigor, it's overwhelming. Striving to "please" is not a life.
          Dialing it back was brilliant.

Comment

Working...
          X