X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Now a Good Time to Buy a Home???

With interest rates at all time lows and a secure job at an academic medical center. I definitely can afford to, though was not sure if the economy in the midst of this down turn it is best to wait it out or get in now on a house that we really love in a very competitive market?

Originally posted by OrthoSportsDoc View Post
    With interest rates at all time lows and a secure job at an academic medical center. I definitely can afford to, though was not sure if the economy in the midst of this down turn it is best to wait it out or get in now on a house that we really love in a very competitive market?
    What do you mean by secure? Are you still doing elective surgeries? If you're strictly non-operative sports medicine are you still seeing a full clinic load?

Comment

I am surprised that ortho sports would be secure, but of course folks are still falling around the house, getting gamers' thumb, etc.

I would argue that soon will be an ideal time to buy a house, especially if you have the luxury to wait for the right house, logistics to walk away if deal is not good, and the NW to be comfortable in a time of turmoil.

Foreclosures and short sales are on the horizon. But now is probably good too.

Comment

I think it’s a good time to elicit some panic selling..

start low balling those homes on the market and I bet a few are in panic mode

Comment

if you are wondering when the deals will start popping up i think it's early.

the plural of annecdote is not data but out of curiosity i pulled up my hood on zillow and things look pretty stable.

i would sit tight and build up some cash. remember that there isn't a single person out there (who isn't an idiot) who thinks things will be better in 2 weeks.

the housing market is probably going to crash later and recover much slower than the job market.

Comment

Which is too bad cause we also wanted to buy this year.....

Moving multiple times does not sound enjoyable

Comment

No elective cases, though taking some trauma call at a large academic center. 130 wRVUs on a Sunday will keep administrators happy. Strictly phone and video visits at this point except for some post-ops that need to be seen. Obviously no job is 100% secure.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post
                Which is too bad cause we also wanted to buy this year.....

Moving multiple times does not sound enjoyable
                Moving as a couple was annoying but was not too bad. At least it was an excuse to purge and get some new stuff. My wife likes decorating a new place.

Last year when we moved with 3.5 kids it sucked butt. Basically had to do the whole thing in 8 hours before the inlaws gave back the kids. Still unpacking boxes whenever we have a moment and the motivation.

Comment

I would not buy right now. Lots of docs are posting about paycuts and furloughs. I would wait out this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by OrthoSportsDoc View Post
                    No elective cases, though taking some trauma call at a large academic center. 130 wRVUs on a Sunday will keep administrators happy. Strictly phone and video visits at this point except for some post-ops that need to be seen. Obviously no job is 100% secure.

Thanks for the advice
                    The loss of elective procedures and outpatient services is significantly impacting revenue in most hospital systems and physician practices. A RVU with a privately insured outpatient is at the top of the revenue reimbursement pyramid and it's downhill from there.

I would just be cautious assuming your 2020 compensation is written in stone.

Comment

Depends on your liquidity, IMO. Also depends on the market and what kind of house you're looking for. If you're looking for a deal, I would wait a year. I suspect housing inventory will still be on a shortage, but the number of buyers will decrease, so that could help your cause.

This time would be the best time to have enough saved for a conventional mortgage, but maybe take a 5-10% down doctor loan to maintain liquidity (the fancy furniture can come later).

A lot of new builds are hitting the market prior to completion. I have a sense that the builders are starting to get anxious in my area.

Comment

We just made the move to buy a house. I am 100% positive we got a deal relative to what would have been possible just 2 months ago. Time will tell if we could get a better deal later this year/next year. real estate is local, so who knows what yours will be like!!!

Comment

Now is not a great time to make a major financial move of any kind. I do not believe we have seen the bottom: in sentiment, in the housing market, in physician compensation, in the spread of the virus, etc.

I guess if you are otherwise independently wealthy, and there is a house you wanted that is now available and affordable and you have the liquidity/credit to take advantage AND you are not concerned that it might be available down the road at a lower price, I would say go for it. If these conditions are not met, I would be cautious about moving forward.

Comment

I would be waiting given the global uncertainty. I think that there will be better deals tomorrow but if the perfect house in the perfect place comes along...

Comment

As an anecdote, my wife and I are buying a home right now. We locked in an amazing interest rate on March 13th rate on a 15 year fixed loan but are paying out a big chunk of our cash for the down payment. It’s making me nervous if my Salary/cash flow dries up. Closing date coming up next month.

Comment

Working...
                              X