Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some expenses....wayyyyy up. Normally my kid is at college with all his meals paid for my the athletic dept. now I have him home plus housing one of his foreign teammates. The first night here they each ate a large pizza. I can’t keep up...whole loaf of bread at time, 8 eggs each am etc. between the cost and the availability of getting the food I’m stressed. Though my travel budget does offset this.

Comment

The only expenses I see that I will save is housecleaning and 2 glasses of wine per month. My housekeeper's main job is as a receptionist at a FP office. My house is discretionary income for her so I am not going to pay it while she is off. I am in 2 bookclubs that meet at a local wine bar that have suspended meetings. Otherwise things go on.

Comment

Sort of surreal, waiting for whether the bomb hits or not. Life looks pretty much the same, but you know it may well change a lot pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post
          ^^^ I guess it's obvious I am "without children". Are all daycares like that? Pay no matter what? I understand they need to make payroll & cover expenses. But well darn...

And I must be really cheap, but if (future) mini-Cube's daycare was closed, I would not even be thinking I'd have to pay...
          If you wanted to use the daycare when they reopened you actually think twice.
          I settled on 1/2 for three months rent for my daughter’s rental house post Katrina.
          •residents not legally allowed in
          •Louisiana law allows landlord rent if inhabitable.
          •That sucker would rent it at 5x to construction workers.
          •Where was she going to live in January?
          Without kids, there are a ton of things you don’t think of paying. Kids are expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
            The only expenses I see that I will save is housecleaning and 2 glasses of wine per month. My housekeeper's main job is as a receptionist at a FP office. My house is discretionary income for her so I am not going to pay it while she is off. I am in 2 bookclubs that meet at a local wine bar that have suspended meetings. Otherwise things go on.
            Is this the “great one” you have used for a long time? Is it possible that the FP reduces her hours? You know the situation better. Sometimes situations change.
            You can buy wine and drink at the scheduled times!

Comment

We will continue to pay for our cleaners although they will not come to clean, but that's only because we are both still working. If one has to stop, then we probably can't keep paying the cleaners.

Yes you always pay daycare no matter what because you are paying for the "spot." Ours is nice in the sense that once a kid has been there for a year, if we want to go on vacation for a week and pull the kid out, we don't have to pay for one week. But that's it.

Lordosis though, your daycare is outrageous if you have to keep paying weekly while they are closed. We had to pay this week (they were open Monday and Tuesday only and charged us for the whole week....okay I can be okay with that) but they are closed all next week and aren't charging. That is the right thing to do. Not sure what happens after next week. It's not my fault that the business doesn't have an emergency fund and I've done the right thing by having one. My oldest who is in grade school is in after-school care and we got reimbursed not for this week but we did for next week, and a promise that nothing will get charged for April until they re-open.

I get that people are hurting and need to get paid (why we pay our cleaners) but if this is a short term problem (and I don't think it will be a short-term problem, I think schools everywhere are done for the school year whether they want to acknowledge that or not) then people/businesses should have been responsible enough for a short-term emergency. Look at the student loan bill being proposed....everyone with a fed loan gets $10k forgiven. We just paid off $5k last month to finally be done with our fed loans. I'm not going to get that $5k back now that there's possibly a program to forgive $10k and put payments on hold for now. You win some, you lose some
              Last edited by JBME; 03-20-2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

My vacation paid for so a loss. One of my tenants already said they are only able to pay 1/2 the rent this month. They have been good tenants and I really appreciated them coming to me early but still not good news. Who knows when that will change. Fortunately I have a cushion and my hospital work is booming but if/when I get sick that can change everything.

Comment

JBME
                  I agree you don’t have an obligation to pay for “consumption” that you don’t use.
                  To do so would be charity.
                  Your example of the student loan thing. No matter how you cut these “benefits”, someone will get screwed , like refi and paying it accelerated.
                  If someone shutdown and laid off employees for the “social distance”, wonderful. But the payroll assistance requires employees for 30 days! Oops, no good deed shall go unpunished.
                  Don’t have any answers though.

Comment

Originally posted by JBME View Post
                    We will continue to pay for our cleaners although they will not come to clean, but that's only because we are both still working. If one has to stop, then we probably can't keep paying the cleaners.

Yes you always pay daycare no matter what because you are paying for the "spot." Ours is nice in the sense that once a kid has been there for a year, if we want to go on vacation for a week and pull the kid out, we don't have to pay for one week. But that's it.

Lordosis though, your daycare is outrageous if you have to keep paying weekly while they are closed. We had to pay this week (they were open Monday and Tuesday only and charged us for the whole week....okay I can be okay with that) but they are closed all next week and aren't charging. That is the right thing to do. Not sure what happens after next week. It's not my fault that the business doesn't have an emergency fund and I've done the right thing by having one. My oldest who is in grade school is in after-school care and we got reimbursed not for this week but we did for next week, and a promise that nothing will get charged for April until they re-open.
                    I clarified it with them this morning. I am not sure if we were just misunderstanding before or if they are now changing their tune when called out but we will not be charged while they are closed. Only for this week even though our kids stayed home. I think this is fair.

So my fixed expenses just dropped 25% which is nice. So even if my wife loses her job we will win out financially because her salary does not justify our daycare expenses and is mostly to maintain her professionally while the kids are young. But our financial security will be of little help to console my wife...

Comment

Working...
                    X