X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are living in a simulation

Many of us are about to learn what our basal expenses are in a way that we have never considered before. Likely, for about the next three months or so, we are going to live in a world of virtually no discretionary expenses. Debt (if any, including auto, student loans, and mortgage payments), housing and home maintenance, utilities, supermarket items including food, paper products (if you can find them), hygiene, and cleaning supplies, cellular/internet, streaming/subscriptions, gas (minimal), insurance, taxes, maybe childcare and tuition, (if applicable), urgent health/dental care, and what else?

Sure, you might purchase a few more books or stream some movies from iTunes or wherever, but those expenses are nominal. Larger discretionary expenses like travel, fine dining, music/sports lessons, luxury goods, fashion, concerts, parties, etc. are off the table. I mean, I guess you could splurge on a new television or a Rolex or a Gucci purse, but who is in the mood for that stuff with all that is going on?

I am looking forward to seeing what our actual baseline living expenses are.

I was thinking the same thing last night.

Comment

When I read the thread title I thoguht of this excellent video

https://youtu.be/tlTKTTt47WE

Comment

We're actually probably going to spend less on groceries as we're trying to minimize those visits but more on eating out to support local businesses and minimize grocery visits too.

Comment

I track everything so I already know this.

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddie911 View Post
            We're actually probably going to spend less on groceries as we're trying to minimize those visits but more on eating out to support local businesses and minimize grocery visits too.
            same.

kind of weird to think that ordering dinner most nights is an act of social solidarity.

Comment

I've noticed the miser in me doesn't want to continue paying for services I'll be suspending -- mostly house cleaning and massage. I will, as the miser says "this is your chance to save big."

Comment

I am trying to think of expenses that are going to go down for my family due to this but I cannot come up with much. A little less gas. No major purchases like furniture or home improvement but I was not planning that anyway. We were not planing on any vacations. We are still paying daycare despite keeping our kids home. Food is going up because of shortages we are now buying more expensive alternatives (store brand unavailable) And my kids are home so they are eating more.

I will likely make less this year so I will save on taxes...

Comment

One big expense we had planned for is travel, and that is out for the year.
                  We have recently purchased all the TV and other items in Jan. Just a couple more for the home theater that was already budgeted. Buying groceries but cooking at home and more family time. Decided to retain the house cleaning lady because once this passes, we don't have to worry about her not coming back.
                  Free Netflix via T-Mobile. No other streaming service. Cutting unnecessary expenditures to the bone.
                  Last edited by Kamban; 03-19-2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Alas, most of my travel is already fully paid for, and any insurance won't get me 100% of that money back, so I'm looking at that as a near-total loss. I expect my spending on everything less to be pretty much what it would have been if the virus wasn't forcing us all to self-quarantine (especially since I intend to try to support local businesses as much as I can, so money spent on movies and dining out gets swapped for gift card purchases and charitable donations).

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                      We are still paying daycare despite keeping our kids home.
                      ...???

For some reason, my office schedule hasn't dropped as much as I thought it would. I'm down ~33% in volume. I was predicting 50%-60%. I thought I'd finally catch up on sleep... Nope... I do think next week will be significantly slower as new infections increase & additional restrictions are ordered.

I live pretty minimal all the time. If I am mandated to stay home, the only money I know I won't be spending is pizza & Taco Bell. I might delay putting insurance on the fun cars if I am not allowed to be out & about. But I have been waiting all winter to get the fun cars back on the road...

"Jersey Doctor sanctioned for violating government ordered stay-at-home-lock-down, says "the gas in the cars needed to be burned", state board reviewing his license to practice."
                      "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

Originally posted by Cubicle View Post

...???
                        Our normal schedule for daycare is 3 days a week. You pay this if you're there or not. It does not matter if your kids are sick. It does not matter if you're on vacation. It does not matter if there is a pandemic and you decide to keep your kids home to limit exposure. Normally my wife works three days a week and in this case they would have gone to daycare but partly because of the current crisis her hours have changed and we were able to arrange other care. So we thought it best to limit their exposure.

Anyway just got an email about an hour ago that they were going to close. Hopefully if they initiate the close we might not have to pay. We'll see what they ask for. It would be really nice if I can save on my biggest expense right now.

Comment

^^^ I guess it's obvious I am "without children". Are all daycares like that? Pay no matter what? I understand they need to make payroll & cover expenses. But well darn...

And I must be really cheap, but if (future) mini-Cube's daycare was closed, I would not even be thinking I'd have to pay...
                          "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Our normal schedule for daycare is 3 days a week. You pay this if you're there or not. It does not matter if your kids are sick. It does not matter if you're on vacation. It does not matter if there is a pandemic and you decide to keep your kids home to limit exposure. Normally my wife works three days a week and in this case they would have gone to daycare but partly because of the current crisis her hours have changed and we were able to arrange other care. So we thought it best to limit their exposure.

Anyway just got an email about an hour ago that they were going to close. Hopefully if they initiate the close we might not have to pay. We'll see what they ask for. It would be really nice if I can save on my biggest expense right now.
                            I'm pretty sure we will be on the hook for the rest of the year's preschool tuition, even though they are unlikely to reopen. That being said, I'm okay with that. It's a local religious preschool with razor thin margins and I know the teachers aren't making much at all.

Comment

Hah. Travel is our only big expense. Grandma was visiting all last week and my wife and I took the opportunity to take the hour long trip to Ikea without the kids and with far less people in the store. Then we went to a Thai restaurant where they claimed they were following orders to limit customers, but then wanted us, and whoever else came in, to sit together at the bar. That's not how that works, lady. Just telling you guys this since someone mentioned how they're not likely to be furniture-shopping.

Comment

Working...
                              X