Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I never imagined I would consider an AmEx Platinum Card...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K82
    replied
    I got the Schwab AMEX platium card this year. Spendng $550 a year for fees was tough but it has paid off. We travel a lot and the international airfare reduction has paid for the card. AMEX travel website is terrible. You need to see what a flight costs on Expedia before looking at AMEX because they often don't have the lowest fare. I have found AMEX travel agents to be less than stellar as well but the 5X points is a good motivator to use them. I get a $200 a year cash back into my Schwab account and can redeem my points for cash into my Schwab account. 10K points equals $125 cash. So far it has paid for itself and then some.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
    I bought something this year from kohls. I don't normally do things like that. I receive something called Kohl's cash. I had to ask my wife what the heck that was. She told me that it is good as money for a particular time. To go back in the future. Sounds pretty silly to me because obviously you will spend more than the cash you got back. And then will receive more Kohl's cash starting the trend over.

Sometimes discounts and free isn't really discounted or free
    Flip side - like leveraged real estate investments -- one may not be leveraging KC effectively either

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    I bought something this year from kohls. I don't normally do things like that. I receive something called Kohl's cash. I had to ask my wife what the heck that was. She told me that it is good as money for a particular time. To go back in the future. Sounds pretty silly to me because obviously you will spend more than the cash you got back. And then will receive more Kohl's cash starting the trend over.

Sometimes discounts and free isn't really discounted or free

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    As we travel less now than years past and more domestic and 529 are done, we moved to this strategy.

Main travel. Plane. Southwest.
    Main hotels. Wherever best location takes us and use that card.

Main yearly spend. Resturants.

Main card. Amex gold. 4pt on restuarant and groceries. 10$ monthly back on shake shack.

Main Visa. Cycling chase preferred ink and sapphire cards to maintain pts minimal annual fees

Main drawer cards.
    amazon 5% amazon whole foods
    bonvoy marriot. Yearly night certificate covers af
    hyatt yearly cer covers annual
    hilton. reserve. For upgrades and yearly cert and credit covers.

This setup gets us through most every vacation spend. Except for large family outings requiring Airbnb, cruises and car rentals.....those are still cash expenses since haven't found a cost efficient method for those that doesn't beat costco travel.

Leave a comment:

• White.Beard.Doc
    commented on 's reply
    I always followed the same strategy you outlined for so many years, fee free credit cards with a simple, generous cash back rewards. But times have changed for me since I will likely fly somewhere perhaps a dozen times this year.

• Dr P
    replied
    I got the Amex Plat card this summer and so far have been happy with it. I think the travel credit is nice if you plan to check up to $200 in bags a year. We also used a portion of it to upgrade to premium economy seats. This credit isn't working for airline gift cards anymore as far as I could tell.
    I also like the 5x points for travel booked through the site.
    My wife has the Chase Platinum Reserve card too and I find that these compliment each other nicely as the Amex doesn't give extra points for restaurants or travel booked off their site.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    It does not take much rationalization spending to blow up the whole thing.

Personally I just use a free cash back card so it hopefully does not influence me buying anything that I normally would not have bought.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied
    Originally posted by nephron View Post
    I don't know about paying an annual fee for a credit card, I suspect that if you did the math (looking at how much you spend with the annual fee vs without the annual fee), you would probably come out ahead with a free credit card. It's probably like bringing coupons the grocery store, my bill always seems higher when I do that. I would recommend the fidelity rewards card if you have children. There is no annual fee and all of your cash back goes into a 529 savings plan. We have over $20,000 in that plan from credit card points alone right now.
    it makes sense the first year given the airline fee credit times 2 (before and after 1/1), global entry fee refund, uber credits, biz plat has a Dell credit, and of course the signup/spend bonus. The math makes much less sense after the first year.

sometimes at time of first annual renewal you can get another bonus or a statement credit by calling the retention line and threatening to cancel or downgrade. If you're spending enough on the card they'll sometimes give perks to keep you

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    commented on 's reply
    500k on travel lol

• HumbleInvestor
    replied
    Most of the time booking an International (even domestic) ticket on very short notice tends to be cheaper (by a fair bit) with points than with cash.

Leave a comment:

• HumbleInvestor
    replied
    White.Beard.Doc IIRC you mostly travel in First and Business and you get Lounge access for that in most airports unless things changed now. Amex Plat is a good card and the recurring benefits are useful but Global Entry is once every 5 years. There is a related service that you can use to book high end hotels and you get some credits to spend on dining etc.

Leave a comment:

• nephron
    replied
    I don't know about paying an annual fee for a credit card, I suspect that if you did the math (looking at how much you spend with the annual fee vs without the annual fee), you would probably come out ahead with a free credit card. It's probably like bringing coupons the grocery store, my bill always seems higher when I do that. I would recommend the fidelity rewards card if you have children. There is no annual fee and all of your cash back goes into a 529 savings plan. We have over $20,000 in that plan from credit card points alone right now.

Leave a comment:

• ACN
    replied
    $500k in straight up spending is worth $7500 for travel in CSR. However travel and restaurantss give 3x points so if you spend $500k on travel, that's worth $22k in points.

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied
    You could certainly do better than 1%. There are straightforward 2% cashback cards. But much better is $5k worth of points easily obtained through bonuses with a lot less spend.

There are probably also lots of things you're putting on credit card that you could get more than a 1% discount on if you asked for a cash price.

Leave a comment:

• EntrepreneurMD
    replied
    Interesting, I'm on track to get back just about $5,000 in cash back on my American Express card this year.

Wondering how much in travel perks, with roughly $500K in annual credit card spending, I would get if I were to switch. Thanks for the idea, I think I'll look into this too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X