Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I never imagined I would consider an AmEx Platinum Card...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
    I’m pretty sure the Amex airline credit resets 1/1

    so you get the credit twice under the first year annual fee if you do it right.

    It’s easier with airlines where you can buy gift cards that code as airline fees that qualify for the credit, if you don’t have a trip ipcoming

    ive done this with SW in the past
    My understanding is that a few months ago amex cracked down on using the credit to buy gift cards. It seems that if you are booking buisness class that you likely won't be being charged many of these fees. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/choos...ne-fee-credit/

    The uber credits are $15 / month (and $35 in December). If you regularly use uber great; but if you mostly use it while traveling you may not maximize the credit.

    I've debated about the platinum but don't think it is worth it for me at this time but I am curious about the international airline program. At this time I'm sticking with CSR.
    Last edited by Gamma Knives; 12-07-2019, 08:31 PM. Reason: grammar

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Gamma Knives View Post

      My understanding is that a few months ago amex cracked down on using the credit to buy gift cards. It seems that if you are booking buisness class that you likely won't be being charged many of these fees. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/choos...ne-fee-credit/

      The uber credits are $15 / month (and $35 in December). If you regularly use uber great; but if you mostly use it while traveling you may not maximize the credit.

      I've debated about the platinum but don't think it is worth it for me at this time but I am curious about the international airline program. At this time I'm sticking with CSR.
      You may be correct about the gift cards. I haven’t researched lately. Already used up my 2019 credit

      flyertalk would be the best source for specifics around what’s working and what’s not.

      the Uber credits do now work for Uber eats. I don’t use Uber that much outside of vacations (so not every month) and I wouldn’t otherwise use Uber eats much but since the credit is use it or lose it, I use it
      my radiology group is hiring, pm if you can do msk and are interested

      Comment


      • #18
        CSR is what we have. Pays for itself. Going to a Disneyworld hotel for a week for free during spring break this year with points.

        Comment


        • #19
          During our greater travel years in the past, we held onto the Amex plat card. It's even better deal/value now despite the higher AF, but a lot more perks. The international can save bunches if you travel on business and close-in---we never used that benefit though as points+upgrades were cheaper always.

          Chaser Reserve is the closest competitor. Amex service is second to none across the spectrum - simple things to chargebacks to travel coverage. It's a great company for consumers.

          Get global entry if you haven't already--lifesaver.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post

            You may be correct about the gift cards. I haven’t researched lately. Already used up my 2019 credit

            flyertalk would be the best source for specifics around what’s working and what’s not.

            the Uber credits do now work for Uber eats. I don’t use Uber that much outside of vacations (so not every month) and I wouldn’t otherwise use Uber eats much but since the credit is use it or lose it, I use it
            That is a great idea! If we don't happen to use uber in a given month, we can order uber eats. Thanks for the tip!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
              I’m pretty sure the Amex airline credit resets 1/1

              so you get the credit twice under the first year annual fee if you do it right.
              Another fantastic tip!

              That's why I love the forum. We are going out west this summer and I have not yet purchased the flights. I will do that this month, then upgrade after my initial purchase to good seats to get the fee reimbursement before the end of the year.

              Thank you!

              Comment


              • #22
                Just make sure you use the website or call to select your airline, before you make the purchase
                my radiology group is hiring, pm if you can do msk and are interested

                Comment


                • #23
                  Yeah if you know you'll use all the perks, it makes sense.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I suspect you can utilize the Uber credits by purchasing Uber Cash.
                    If you have a certain minimum at Schwab then you get an annual credit that makes the Amex Platinum a lot cheaper.
                    The CSR travel credit is easier to use- automatically applied and worth more than for Amex. I think the Amex could be worth it if you travel a lot and you can maximize the value of the requirements to buy your tickets through the site, pick an airline for the incidentals credit, use the incidentals, and so forth. The CSR seems to be simpler to use and to get the benefits, even if you don't travel all that much.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Chase points are def easier to use. 1.5x redemption value toward travel bought through chase.

                      amex points can be similar if you have biz plat. The points only redeem for 1 cent per point but biz plat gives a 35% rebate so it ends up being about 1.5 cent per point

                      redemption values can be much better if you use the points for reward travel on intl biz class and compare the redemption amount to a cash price

                      SW points can redeem at good value and the companion pass is nice

                      global entry for the whole fam is a nice perk to get if you travel intl enough
                      my radiology group is hiring, pm if you can do msk and are interested

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Interesting, I'm on track to get back just about $5,000 in cash back on my American Express card this year.

                        Wondering how much in travel perks, with roughly $500K in annual credit card spending, I would get if I were to switch. Thanks for the idea, I think I'll look into this too.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          You could certainly do better than 1%. There are straightforward 2% cashback cards. But much better is $5k worth of points easily obtained through bonuses with a lot less spend.

                          There are probably also lots of things you're putting on credit card that you could get more than a 1% discount on if you asked for a cash price.
                          my radiology group is hiring, pm if you can do msk and are interested

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            $500k in straight up spending is worth $7500 for travel in CSR. However travel and restaurantss give 3x points so if you spend $500k on travel, that's worth $22k in points.

                            Comment


                            • jacoavlu
                              jacoavlu commented
                              Editing a comment
                              500k on travel lol

                          • #29
                            I don't know about paying an annual fee for a credit card, I suspect that if you did the math (looking at how much you spend with the annual fee vs without the annual fee), you would probably come out ahead with a free credit card. It's probably like bringing coupons the grocery store, my bill always seems higher when I do that. I would recommend the fidelity rewards card if you have children. There is no annual fee and all of your cash back goes into a 529 savings plan. We have over $20,000 in that plan from credit card points alone right now.

                            Comment


                            • #30
                              White.Beard.Doc IIRC you mostly travel in First and Business and you get Lounge access for that in most airports unless things changed now. Amex Plat is a good card and the recurring benefits are useful but Global Entry is once every 5 years. There is a related service that you can use to book high end hotels and you get some credits to spend on dining etc.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X