X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial Samurai Out of Retirement

when you need 350K in living expenses, its hard to retire early.....
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryander.../#21fd35dd484f

Pretty sad when $250k/year in passive income isn't enough to retire on.

Comment

So he'd rather find a job outside the home than be a stay at home parent. Sounds about right

Comment

The article makes it sound like he would have to make tremendous sacrifices to get his expenses in line. But he doesn't have to move to Empty Silo, Kansas to get by. I don't know NorCal that well but even across the bay or Sacramento, I would think $250k is a very livable income. I'm guessing he'd be more open to moving if he weren't bored with retirement.

Comment

It's good to read about others' experiences. Just like POF is not my reality (too lean), FS is also not my reality (too fat). I mean, 35k/yr for grade school? Isn't that Leif's combined budget for food/transportation/housing/healthcare?

Comment

“At the time, Dogen promised his infant that he would be a stay-at-home father for at least two years, which is when they would look for a preschool.”

why does a two year old with a retired dad need to go to preschool?

Comment

Being a stay at home parent sounds great until you realize that taking care of a kid is a job. Depending on your temperament, the kid, the amount of kids. You cannot shut them off at 5 and go home. Some people do not do well with the seemingly endless job of being a parent. And if you complain about it you get bashed for not wanting to spend every waking moment with the kids.

The other part about not being able to life on 250k a year is just nuts. Obviously a spending problem.
              ​​​​​​
              ​​​​​

Comment

•Seven years in a really intense bear market!
                •Three year’s of bargain basement prices preparing
                •Dude gets a blog up actually making decent coin
                •Sequence risk and unforeseen events really wiped him out without any warning. He is Asian, had a kid and lives in a HCOL area. Who could have seen that coming?
                •Samurai or “Kamikaze”? No offense to my Japanese friends.
                •To think this entitled dude squandered 7 years of earning capacity to cite the “big risk” is a grade school lottery. Tough luck I guess.
                •So many things went wrong I guess.
                No pass on the math and he must have been on vacation when brains or common sense were issued.
                •Good luck with the Hawaii thing. Geeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                  Being a stay at home parent sounds great until you realize that taking care of a kid is a job. Depending on your temperament, the kid, the amount of kids. You cannot shut them off at 5 and go home. Some people do not do well with the seemingly endless job of being a parent. And if you complain about it you get bashed for not wanting to spend every waking moment with the kids.

The other part about not being able to life on 250k a year is just nuts. Obviously a spending problem.
                  ​​​​​​
                  ​​​​​
                  Of course I don't know his actual motivation but it seems to me the not having enough money is just an excuse to go back to work because he doesn't like being at home. Clearly they could stay "retired" if they made any other number of decisions. And I'm not even judging that desire, it's hard to be home with a kid full time and it's not something I choose either. But why not just talk about that?

Comment

• StateOfMyHead
                    StateOfMyHead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like this young man is bored but unfortunately the way the piece is written whether that tone comes from the author or subject it focuses fairly heavily on his child as a significant factor. While no one is ever 100% prepared for that change it isn't an unreasonable expense to estimate in a budget.The cherry on top is the repeated mention of having another baby.....how will they ever manage? SMH

I listen to his podcasts sometimes, and I think he mentioned something about considering selling his blog for a nice low-to-mid 7 figure profit, so I think he will be fine in the long run.

Comment

I feel his pain. Really. Having kids is expensive. Long ago, I stopped reading lifestyle and finance blogs of FIRE folks who did not have kids. Of course they were retiring earlier and had visited 50+ national parks and over 100 countries. Their lives were so different than mine it was as if they lived on a different planet.

And while I do not completely understand the draw of living in the Bay Area, I do understand that once you are rooted in a location, with family, friends, routines, and good memories, it is very hard to leave and therefore probably much easier for him to accept going back to work.

The FS could join me in suburban St. Louis, where he could live among a thriving community of highly educated Chinese if he chose to (he mentions concern about diversity in the Midwest and South), where he could live like a king on $250k and send his children to the highest rated public school in the state. But that would never happen...

Comment

• Hatton
                      Hatton commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Even my community in Northern Alabama has a large ethnic Chinese community. Lots of Chinese engineers. $250k passive is my retirement plan also.

Not sure if there's more to the story or maybe I'm missing something here. But I follow his blog from time to time and if true, he looks like an absolute buffoon. He comes across kinda smug and seems to poke fun at other's financial follies and in his comments he sometimes comes across a bit odd. He hasn't written about this in his blog yet. Something doesn't add up and it's not a good look.

Comment

“why does a two year old with a need to go to preschool” have to provide daycare for a retired dad ?

• Get a hobby
                      • Get a job
                      • Volunteer
                      • Consider joining civic involvement with garden clubs or other forms of adult interactions.
                      A two year old should not be burdened with caring for an elderly parent.
                      •Stand with preschoolers right to independence.
                      •Definitely symptoms of adult social adjustment issues. Living one’s life through their children is a recipe for disaster.
                      • Let it go!
                      https://youtu.be/moSFlvxnbgk

Comment

I recently retired. I am making 250k passively from investments. I feel like this is more than enough to support me. Not having a job is definitely an adjustment. I am finding lots of things to do during the day when I used to work. It is a great opportunity to meet new people. You have to expend some effort to fill up the time with productive healthy activities rather than watching TV and wishing you had a job.

Comment

He started coming off as bored with retirement years ago, even before the kid. I like how the article says something about "bad economy" as a factor. Ugh, what? He was also crazy bearish and keeping money out of the market and in dumb investments like gold/structured notes years ago, which Im sure hurt badly but was and should have been obvious.

I stopped reading a while ago as I got tired of his obviously fake humility and replies feigning some sort of clarification when it was a sly dig. He did not take criticism at all but dished it out. Comes across in article when describing 'abject poverty' and not thinking his kid can go to public school.

He tried to get me to write a guest post once but I honestly think the only reason was so that he could pick apart why I've made the financial choices I have, etc...

Otoh, returning to work because retirement is too boring (its been many years after all) and your goals change, who cares, that is the point of being financially free. You can quit, or decide to work if you want. Our preferences change and the only real error is assuming what you want at 20 is what you'll want at 30, 40 or 50. Or that life events like family wont change your priorities or whole outlook.

The community/minority statements are just rationalization and justification for choices they've already made. I get it though, its very tough to just uproot yourself and takes a different kind of person. Thats their identity, though I too do not get the SF appeal, SD and LA I do.

Comment

Working...
                          X