X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice maker and wine fridge

I am renovating my house and adding a bar  that will have an under the counter ice maker and wine fridge. Any suggestions? I want an Ice maker that is some what quiet and makes clear ice. For the wine fridge I want to be able to have two different temp zones. I looked at some reviews online and went to some local stores but got a different story from all. Any help appreciated.

I'd combine the two and get a wine maker.

Comment

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/cooling-storage/wine-coolers/dual-zone-wine-coolers

I’ve had a dual zone for 2-3 years, it works great. Couldn’t tell you about ice makers.

Comment

I am renovating my house and adding a bar  that will have an under the counter ice maker and wine fridge. Any suggestions? I want an Ice maker that is some what quiet and makes clear ice. For the wine fridge I want to be able to have two different temp zones. I looked at some reviews online and went to some local stores but got a different story from all. Any help appreciated.

Ice makers I think its generally accepted a Scotsman is best. Theyre pretty amazing. I dont have one but the place we rented in Aspen did.

Comment

We have a u line wine fridge and haven't had issues but it's only single zone. But as long as you're not buying a cheap one, I'd think all would work ok. We only drink red though so maybe the two zones are more nuanced.

Comment

For $80 you can get a dorm mini fridge and some ice trays. ?

Comment

our apt came with a n'finity pro hdx....

its been unplugged since moving in.....so working great!

honestly though, why doesnt a regular fridge work? im not at the point in my career where i can taste the difference between wines other than....good...not good.

Comment

Peds-The temperatures in a typical fridge are lower than the appropriate temperatures for red and white wine (57 and 51 degrees, respectively).

Most of these fridges work well as long as you’re not going super cheap on them. They keep temps where they need to be.

Comment

No I know what they say.....but does it really matter? Your wine is going to heat up 5 minutes after you pour it and not even be fridge/wine fridge temp.....

Comment

I disagree . If you drink it in any reasonable amount of time, it won't heat up, provided you're not drinking it in 90 degree heat, which would be weird. Drinking wine at room temperature is less than ideal.

Comment

Looked into the icemaker when we did a renovation a few years back, and the cost to buy was annoying, but the cost to run was way too high.  It was really hard to figure out, but it came to a few hundred dollars a year.  They generally aren't insulated or very lightly so they are running the compressor a lot.

FYI, to make clear ice for pretty drinks, you just need to use ice cube trays that you place into an insulated bag before going into the freezer.  The trick is to freeze the water very slowly.

Comment

For a clear ice maker, I'd look into the products created by this company called Wintersmiths. They launched on kickstarter several years back and have been releasing various contraptions to make clear ice spheres, cubes, etc. They utilize the same method of directional freezing mentioned above, which works much better than boiling water or using filtered water.

Comment

I don't think I've ever thought my ice wasn't clear enough

Comment

I second the Scotsman recommendation. I love our large clear ice. My wife prefers the neighbor's pellet "sonic" ice.

Comment

Working...
                            X