Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lordosis
    replied

fatlittlepig is very knowledgeable when it comes to appliances and refrigerators

A quick primer on how refrigerators work, there are two sections the freezer and the fridge.

The Freezer section actually supplies cold air to the fridge section (which is regulated by a thermometer), the fridge does not produce any cold air.

Sometimes the duct between the freezer and the fridge will get frozen shut, therefore the freezer section goes nuts and frosts over, and the fridge section does not get cold air.

So if you do a total defrost, the duct which was frozen shut will melt and clear out (i believe you can actually speed this up with blow dryer), and now cold air from the freezer can get back into the fridge section, and the freezer will not frost over.

The one benefit about this is that I am quickly learning about something I knew nothing about.  I have had issues with other household appliances in the past so I sort of know how to troubleshoot them.  But if your oven does not work for 2 weeks who cares.  The fridge is a real pain.

If we have to replace this thing at some point I am thinking about the duel evaporator fridges to avoid that issue.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied

Ignorance is definitely bliss, until it’s not. Then it’s awful.

Many of my patients are the working poor- in their 50’s, early 60’s and too sick to continue working in a physical job, but too poor to afford to retire. So many go back to work with often devastating consequences to their health. Getting foreclosed on while going through a life changing health event is no fun. Hard pass for this tightwad.

This is basically my line of thinking.  It really leaves you no margin for error.

Leave a comment:

• portlandia
    replied
    Ignorance is definitely bliss, until it's not. Then it's awful.

Many of my patients are the working poor- in their 50's, early 60's and too sick to continue working in a physical job, but too poor to afford to retire. So many go back to work with often devastating consequences to their health. Getting foreclosed on while going through a life changing health event is no fun. Hard pass for this tightwad.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    fatlittlepig is very knowledgeable when it comes to appliances and refrigerators

A quick primer on how refrigerators work, there are two sections the freezer and the fridge.

The Freezer section actually supplies cold air to the fridge section (which is regulated by a thermometer), the fridge does not produce any cold air.

Sometimes the duct between the freezer and the fridge will get frozen shut, therefore the freezer section goes nuts and frosts over, and the fridge section does not get cold air.

So if you do a total defrost, the duct which was frozen shut will melt and clear out (i believe you can actually speed this up with blow dryer), and now cold air from the freezer can get back into the fridge section, and the freezer will not frost over.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied

in some cases it actually might be better to replace the fridge. some new construction houses come with sub quality appliances and a low quality fridge may be end of life after 7 years. sometimes letting the fridge completely thaw out will fix the overicing problem.

That was the 2 pieces of advice from the repair guy.  You might be in the wrong line of work!

Turns out the original fridge did die after 6 years and the last owner replaced it with this one.  But it is a GE piece of junk.

I did defrost it but only to the point that I could see.  He suggested a full defrost which can take a couple of days.  Just turned it on before work this morning so fingers crossed.  I am going to check it at lunch time.  A nice benefit of having a 4 minute commute.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    in some cases it actually might be better to replace the fridge. some new construction houses come with sub quality appliances and a low quality fridge may be end of life after 7 years. sometimes letting the fridge completely thaw out will fix the overicing problem.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied
    Last few weeks our Refrigerator would not hold temperature.   It is about 7 years old and came with the house.  It is not a style my wife or I really like but were willing to live with it.

I defrosted it and chipped out a ton of ice.  and it got better for a couple of weeks.

Then it got much worse.  Appliance repair guy said a fan is busted and that is why it is icing up.  He can get the part but it will be a few more days.  Repair all in all will be $2-300.  But the worse part is not having a working fridge.  We luckily have a mini fridge to keep a few essentials in.  But with kids this is a real pain.

It is times like this I wish I did not know the value of money and just financed a fancy 3K fridge at first sign of trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Anne
    replied
    If you like food/cooking NYT Cooking is bomb.  Worth it to get all access online so that's included.

Leave a comment:

• wa2106
    replied
    $4 for .edu subscription started 3-4 years ago.  I guess they haven't increased it up to market rate.  Guess I'll go buy an extra coffee with my savings

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied

people spending money on nytimes online must not be serious about FIRE.   You can get by the article limit by reading articles on different computers on the hospital while you are rounding if you are so inclined.

it's $15/mo for full digital access across all of your devices.

i make $15 in like 5 min.

pretty sure i'm gonna be aight.

Leave a comment:

• nephron
    replied
    people spending money on nytimes online must not be serious about FIRE.   You can get by the article limit by reading articles on different computers on the hospital while you are rounding if you are so inclined.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    Interesting thread. Fatlittlepig is self aware enough to realize that those who make a lot of money, live in the moment, spend freely and save little - they may actually be right and fatlittlepig’s frugal ways were unnecessary. Perhaps they will turn out just fine which is very likely.

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied

Yes, I got the nyt offer at my edu email. Still haven’t bought it yet. It’s online only but that is my preference.
    Click to expand…

if you enjoy reading the nytimes (and yes I do on a daily basis), isn’t not paying the ten or so bucks a month an example of penny wise pound foolish… I’m sure you waste a lot more money on other things per month….

Well you get some free each month and I'm just waiting to see how much free time I'm going to have at my new job before I decide. So far the free articles have been enough, but if work continues to be slow,  I will need significantly more reading material in my life.

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied

Yes, I got the nyt offer at my edu email. Still haven’t bought it yet. It’s online only but that is my preference.

if you enjoy reading the nytimes (and yes I do on a daily basis), isn't not paying the ten or so bucks a month an example of penny wise pound foolish... I'm sure you waste a lot more money on other things per month....

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    Yes, I got the nyt offer at my edu email. Still haven't bought it yet. It's online only but that is my preference.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X