Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIREshrink
    replied
    My colleague last night told me, I can tell from reading your notes lately that you are really liking work! You are really getting into all the details. And you look so happy! I told the nurses that Dr. Fireshrink is not coming back to me medical director because he looks too happy!

Yes. I like the way FI fits.

Leave a comment:

• White.Beard.Doc
    replied
    A NY Times subscription is $1.50/week if you are an educator. As in someone with a .edu at the end of your email address.

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied

Okay, how are you guys getting the New York Times for just $4 per month?  I may not always agree with their editorial stance, but I like reading something that isn’t by Gannett and that’s written above an eighth grade level.

Are you getting online access only, or actual dead tree delivered to your house for four or six bucks per month?  (Please tell me this isn’t some cheesy one month teaser rate.)
    Click to expand…

This is what I want to know too. Most of what I enjoy is free or inexpensive, but I do think I pay $40/mo for the NYT! What’s the secret?!

for an online subscription only?

it think mine is $9/mo?

Leave a comment:

• Antares
    replied

Okay, how are you guys getting the New York Times for just $4 per month?  I may not always agree with their editorial stance, but I like reading something that isn’t by Gannett and that’s written above an eighth grade level.

Are you getting online access only, or actual dead tree delivered to your house for four or six bucks per month?  (Please tell me this isn’t some cheesy one month teaser rate.)

This is what I want to know too. Most of what I enjoy is free or inexpensive, but I do think I pay $40/mo for the NYT! What’s the secret?!

Leave a comment:

• BeachesMD
    replied
    Ignorance is not bliss.

What we don't see is the stress that poor finances can bring. It's a major relationship issue.  Spending never really made anyone happy - or Hollywood would have the happiest people on earth. Even overspending on your kids can be unhealthy for them. Moderation in all things.

"not knowing what you are missing" is sort of backward. I think what you are looking for is contentment. It's being ok with what you have and not missing what you don't.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    replied

There are a lot of blue pill takers in this world.

Freedom! “money can buy a lot of things; it can also purchase freedom. None of the things money can buy is more valuable than freedom.” JL Collins

This is the main reason I think we made the right decision.  At some point work becomes optional.  And if you choose to keep working  you can do it on your terms.

Leave a comment:

• Craigy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied

Click to expand…

well hey, I might be one of the few people on here who would tell you that an NYT subscription is a great investment!!!!
    Click to expand…

Why NYT?  I may be wrong, but I thought you were a Chicago doc.  Any good Midwest papers?

sure lots of them but i just like the times.

i used to read the tribune more frequently but it seems like it's gone more the way of the tabloid lately.

Leave a comment:

• FunkDoc83
    replied

Click to expand…

well hey, I might be one of the few people on here who would tell you that an NYT subscription is a great investment!!!!

Why NYT?  I may be wrong, but I thought you were a Chicago doc.  Any good Midwest papers?

Leave a comment:

• Tangler
    replied
    Freedom!
    “money can buy a lot of things; it can also purchase freedom. None of the things money can buy is more valuable than freedom.”
    JL Collins

The myth is that the extra “stuff” is somehow going to bring happiness. You can have a pretty wonderful life without extra status artifacts.

Imagine being 60 and realizing you don’t have a plan for the future?

Leave a comment:

• Hank
    replied
    Okay, how are you guys getting the New York Times for just $4 per month?  I may not always agree with their editorial stance, but I like reading something that isn't by Gannett and that's written above an eighth grade level.

Are you getting online access only, or actual dead tree delivered to your house for four or six bucks per month?  (Please tell me this isn't some cheesy one month teaser rate.)

Leave a comment:

• wa2106
    replied

I don’t know. I’ve never been a spender, I have always hated debt and like saving for the future. I wasn’t ever saved by this website, just found a group of like minded people. I don’t even know what I would spend more money on, this year we are set to make twice as much as I ever imagined, so we are just throwing all the extra into a taxable account.
    Click to expand…

I’m a frustrated spender. Like I’ve said if you gave me $100k and told me I had to spend it on myself I could do it in a day with things I already know I really want.

I just can’t spend unless I know I can afford it. Like I honestly think if I drove off the lot in a brand new Audi on a loan I think I might have to pull over to vomit.

I actually anticipate that at some point in my mid-late 40s I might seek some professional coaching about spending on myself. I am borderline pathological about it. I have to think for 2 days before I buy a new pair of pants. At my NW and income that is just silly but it’s how my addled brain works. Maybe I should drink more.
    Click to expand…

I get it. Today I texted my husband to ask if he thought I should subscribe to the nyt for $6/month. Not because I need his permission to spend money, but because psychologically it makes me feel better. And even so, I still probably won’t pay for the subscription;-)

I pay $4/month and I get my money's worth out of it

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    Support the daily!

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied

I don’t know. I’ve never been a spender, I have always hated debt and like saving for the future. I wasn’t ever saved by this website, just found a group of like minded people. I don’t even know what I would spend more money on, this year we are set to make twice as much as I ever imagined, so we are just throwing all the extra into a taxable account.
    Click to expand…

I’m a frustrated spender. Like I’ve said if you gave me $100k and told me I had to spend it on myself I could do it in a day with things I already know I really want.

I just can’t spend unless I know I can afford it. Like I honestly think if I drove off the lot in a brand new Audi on a loan I think I might have to pull over to vomit.

I actually anticipate that at some point in my mid-late 40s I might seek some professional coaching about spending on myself. I am borderline pathological about it. I have to think for 2 days before I buy a new pair of pants. At my NW and income that is just silly but it’s how my addled brain works. Maybe I should drink more.
    Click to expand…

I get it. Today I texted my husband to ask if he thought I should subscribe to the nyt for $6/month. Not because I need his permission to spend money, but because psychologically it makes me feel better. And even so, I still probably won’t pay for the subscription;-)

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied

Click to expand…

I get it. Today I texted my husband to ask if he thought I should subscribe to the nyt for $6/month. Not because I need his permission to spend money, but because psychologically it makes me feel better. And even so, I still probably won't pay for the subscription;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X