X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• california_dreamin'......maybe

ok, so i'm tired of living in chicago.  wifey wants to go to southern california with the 2 youngsters. i would like to be able to retire someday.

this one goes out to folks living in southern california...good and bad, what's it like? what can i expect? worth the cost? any regrets? do it again?

seems awfully expensive...but no yearly polar vortex seems like a plus.

So its multi-factorial i guess....so here are the results of my very scientific research,

1) Chicago = severely underfunded pensions and only answer is to up my property taxes.  our taxes have gone from $9900 or $17000 in just 5 years.  and Mayor Lightfoot just said the budget is a gazillion dollars short again. There is no pension reform coming...ever.

2) Chicago has arguably some of the worst weather in the county.  From brutal cold, to grey skies, to oppressive heat and humidity. its turrible.  Fall lasts 2 weeks.  Spring 1.

3) looking at Redlands California

4) no family here in Chicago, we're a blank slate and open to writing the next chapter somewhere fun.  kids 4 and 2.

5) we love to be outdoors.  until you've experienced a Chicago winter and the relentless cold, pipes cracking during a polar vortex, the long grey spring... hard to explain. I often joke, i spent the first 40 years in the midwest, I'd like to spent the next 40 years west...and then I'll be able to make a final decision.

6) traffic sucks here too. maybe better in Redlands.

7) crime.  Chicago has lots of it.

8) Big Bear Lake looks fun, and has a really cool name.

9) I do EM.

10) Budding Rap career might finally be able to take off?

Can you be more specific? It's a big state.

Comment

But yes, I fully support you guys leaving Chicago and going to California.
      Every facet of you and your family's life will be better

Comment

If it is purely good weather you are looking for then there are a lot of South West states to choose from.

Comment

May not be polar vortices but there are hellish ones pretty regularly.

Comment

If it is purely good weather you are looking for then there are a lot of South West states to choose from.

And quite a few South East ones, a bit away from the coast to avoid hurricanes. With medium cost of living. With 4 season weather. Fall is coming - the most beautiful season of them all. I just love the fall colors.

Comment

Priorities?  Big State - lots of choices.  Common factor -   Sunshine tax is everywhere.  Even in Stockton where most Californians would swear off -- it was a 15% increase over  Michigan's best neighborhoods.   So be ready for that.

The variety of California like most coastal states, just a lot more compact, intense, and ability to access that said variety.

Comment

The taxes are high and the politics left-leaning, so SoCal is similar to Chicago in that regard.

The weather is far nicer, the pensions on more stable footing, but the cost of property is higher.

Traffic can be truly awful. Spend more, buy a smaller place, and/or buy an older place as necessary to avoid a hellish commute.

Comment

I have heard this quite often.  Which south west states have good weather?  Arizona is nice in the winter but pretty hellish in the summer.  Nevada?  Same.

Comment

How much time have you spent there? What do you like to do? What part of SoCal are you talking about? San Diego proper vs Laguna Beach vs Riverside vs Santa Monica vs Pasadena vs etc all have different feels.

The taxes take a big cut. You will have a smaller house than you would most other places. Lots of wealthy people and even more so lots of people trying to look wealthy. If you have a hard time feeling like you want to keep up with the Joneses, it will be harder there. If not, and you love the outdoors and left coast atmosphere, it can be great.

Comment

What don’t you like about Chicago? What about Southern CA intrigues you?

Comment

120 degrees in the summer is no worse then 20 degrees in the winter. You go from one air conditioned building to car to house. Same as with heated buildings in the cold weather.

Comment

120 degrees in the summer is no worse then 20 degrees in the winter. You go from one air conditioned building to car to house. Same as with heated buildings in the cold weather.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  You can always find good Patagonia and Arcteryx clothing to enjoy the outdoors with in the winter.  When it's 120 degrees, you are really just stuck with air conditioning.  And if the power goes out you are really screwed.

Comment

While true -  there's nothing like having the windows open throughout the day 330+ days of the year without thinking about much of anything about having them open.

Comment

I have never understood the allure of California (have a sister in Pasadena, have visited plenty) but realize I’m in the minority. One consideration, depending upon demand for your specialty: as in NYC, physician pay in CA is often inversely-related to the COL, kind of a double whammy. And the traffic is simply the worst. At least in NYC, cabs and Uber are quick and relatively cheap.
                              Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                              X