X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much to tip?

How much do you tip if you order standing up? My wife and I like to go to a restaurant that is reasonably nice, but you order at the counter. They bring the food out to you, come check on you, bring your drinks and refill them. Keep a bottle of water at the table that they change out. They clear the tables. It’s in a nice area. Entrees range from $12-25. Cocktails are $10. We’ll spend about $40-80 depending on if we go for lunch or dinner, get drinks, appetizers, dessert, etc.

Anyways, I never know how much to tip at places like this. It’s not a traditional waiter, but they do bring you your food and drinks and refills. Also, it seems like when I was a kid 12% was normal, 15% good and 20% generous. It seems like 18-20% is now relatively normal and 25% is generous which seems a bit excessive.

Historically, I’ve tipped about $5 if it’s on the low end ($40ish) and $10 on the high end of that bill range ($70-80ish). Am I being cheap? Is that reasonable?

15-20% although Fatlittlepig has been known to tip more. Fatlittlepig’s check will be much lighter since Fatlittlepig doesn’t drink and usually shares an entree.

Comment

It sounds to me like you should tip at this place like any other restaurant, since the only difference from your description is that you are standing up when you place your order.

Comment

Why can't we just include tips in the price and pay the workers a fair wage so no one has this problem ever again?  Since that won't happen in this country anytime soon, I agree with FLP

Comment

For a traditional restaurant I start at 20%.  If they keep my drink full and do a great job I do go up to 25%.  If they do a poor job I go down.

I am not sure what I would do in the type of place you describe.  Probably a little less.  It depends on how much they do.

Image result for my blue heaven over tipping

I also say this every time. The joke is getting old with my wife :P

Comment

if they're still doing regular waiting duties, I'd probably still tip 15-20%

Comment

And I don’t know if it matters, but you don’t have one waiter. It’s just whoever is walking by.

But it sounds like I’ve just been cheap....

Comment

Where the line is fuzzy is when you pay up front when you order, then take a number and sit down.

Comment

I never know what to do at the buffet places where all they do is bring you drinks

Comment

Why can’t we just include tips in the price and pay the workers a fair wage so no one has this problem ever again?

Because:

1.  Prices look worse and people have no flexibility with respect to how much they will pay.  Demand drops.  Revenue falls for the business.

2.  What is a "fair wage"?

Comment

You pay at the counter.

Comment

20% standard - higher if exceptional.   Having been a waiter in college years, tips matter.  I don't punish the waiter if the kitchen is backed up or front staff is slamming the floor with making waiter cover 8 tables.

Comment

I’d probably tip the same as any other restaurant but I hate the “tradition” of tipping. I’m usually a pretty generous tipper but I find more and more places have a tip line on the receipt.

Comment

Took my kids out for ice cream last night. They do not accept tips.   There was a sign that read  "Tipping is only for cows"

Trust me they make it up in what they charge.  I hope it goes to the employees.

Either way it was tasty stuff.

Comment

I’m usually a pretty generous tipper but I find more and more places have a tip line on the receipt.

right?!

Comment

Working...
                              X