X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refi or stay current course

I took out a 30 yr fixed mortgage in 2013 for [email protected]%. We've been paying an extra $500/mo. principal and the current payoff balance is $149,500. Should be paid off in 8 yrs. With rates for a 15 yr fixed in the 3% range would it be smart to refi? Or just wait to see if they dip to 2% or possibly lower?
    Last edited by afr; 06-22-2020, 12:30 PM.

they'll probably dip below 3% but probably not below 2%. I'd refi now if you find a rate that is 3% or lower

Comment

If you can get a refinance with little to no out of pocket, for less interest rate, then you're extra $500 per month would go even farther. I'd at least get 1-3 quotes.
      "Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Comment

Currently 8 years out? No, I would not refi for 15 years. You can do the arithmetic. 8 years at your current payment rate or 15 at the new rate. Throw in the closing/settlement costs. I suspect you are ahead doing what you are doing now, but even if the two scenarios are close you would be paid off 7 years earlier. Worth it.

Comment

Depends on how much free time you have. I closed our refi 2 days ago for 15 yr at 2.5% with better.com. they currently have a promotion for $2500 in statement credit if you have an American Express card. This essentially covered all closing cost with a few hundred left over.

I think the problem you may run into is that your balance is pretty low. I think the best rates are being given to those with between $200k-500k loan amount.

See the refinance megathread on bogleheads for more info

Comment

I do have an AMEX card but can’t touch anything close to 2.5% on a 15 yr no cost note with Better.com

Comment

Use the amortization table in excel and compare the total interest you’d pay at your current path versus if you refinanced and made the same payment. Obviously no one likes paying closing costs, but if you save more in total interest by refinancing than the closing costs, then you are better off. Usually it’s a couple years before you breakeven. You could even look at a 7-year ARM, which I’ve seen are becoming less competitive relative to 30 year or 15 year, but still usually gets the best rate/you can plan to pay it off before the rate resets. If you rate shop between a few lenders, then you will be able to get a better rate and/or lower closing costs.

I think it’s great to pay down debt faster, but if you look at the bigger picture/long-term, I’d gladly pay 3% interest and invest the extra $500/mo in the stock market to earn more than the 3% interest you are paying. If you’re closer to retirement though, sometimes it is just a good feeling to be debt free and that would trump the better returns you could earn by investing the extra payments you’re currently making.
              Andrew Musbach, CFP® | Co-Founder & Financial Advisor at MD Wealth Management, LLC
              Financial Planning for Physicians | [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by afr View Post
                I do have an AMEX card but can’t touch anything close to 2.5% on a 15 yr no cost note with Better.com
                The listed rates on better.com's website are crap (above market). The trick is to get a low rate quote from a competitor to take to them. They also have a match policy where they will match the rate plus lower the closing costs by $1,000. I used a 2.5%, no points rate quote from northpointe and better was able to match the rate plus reduce closing costs by $1k. Not sure what state you are in but that makes a difference too.

Comment

I’m in PA

Comment

Hi,
                    Still unable to find a bank willing to lend us 150k w/a no cost, 10 yr loan under 3% in PA. Our townhouse is worth approx. 350k and we're planning to sell in 7-10 yrs. We have excellent credit and a combined income over 250k. So much for all those wonderful rates I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                    X