Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Mortgage Refinance decision/options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Mortgage Refinance decision/options.

Currently have a fixed 20-yr 4% %530K home mortgage that is 3yrs in (i.e. 17yrs left).

Found a refinance rate of 2.875% !!! for a fixed 15-yr mortgage.

Result would be trivial change in my monthly mortgage but likely a savings of approx. $70K over the course of the loan.

Anything I'm missing?  I do need to find out about xfer costs/fees,etc. - what would be ballpark fair amount for that anyway, $2-3K for all costs/fees included?

Thanks!

If you're planning on staying there past the breakeven point for costs, it makes sense. iow, probably break even in a few years - I would recommend planning to stay a min. of 5 yrs if you're going to refi. There are several good calculators online to figure out breakeven - Zillow has a very helpful one.
    Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for physicians, dentists, and medical professionals

Comment

Great!  Yes.. I had calculated by doing the math on my own of $70K savings... zillows calculator states $63K (assuming $5K in closing costs)

Thanks alot for that link share!

And yes, we plan to stay in the home >10 more years

Comment

Care to share on that 15yr?  We're kicking around a 15y since 4% 30yr currently and still 10-15yr out for planned retirement.  Best we've seen locally with 0pt and reasonable closing is 3.25

Comment

Im awaiting confirmation on the 2.875% 15yr fixed from bethpage credit union (in NY) - but here is the link (click on 'mortgages')

https://www.bethpagefcu.com/rates-calculators.aspx

Comment

Can I complicate the original question a bit...

I also have a loan on an occupier-owned medical office 9yrs left on a 15yr fixed at 4% rate (private mortgage loan, not with bank).

I wonder if rather than trying to refinance this one - I could consider to go forward with the above refinanced home mortgage loan at 2.875% for 15yr-fixed and THEN:

take out a HELOC and pay off the medical office loan?

thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

Can I complicate the original question a bit…

I also have a loan on an occupier-owned medical office 9yrs left on a 15yr fixed at 4% rate (private mortgage loan, not with bank).

I wonder if rather than trying to refinance this one – I could consider to go forward with the above refinanced home mortgage loan at 2.875% for 15yr-fixed and THEN:

thoughts? Thanks!

You'd be transferring a business debt and making it personal which I think doesnt make a lot of sense, but other wise nothing wrong with it. Then again a lot of practice loans make you put your personal assets at risk anyway, so maybe that doesnt matter.

I would do whatever is cheapest and simplest.

Comment

Can I complicate the original question a bit…

I wonder if rather than trying to refinance this one – I could consider to go forward with the above refinanced home mortgage loan at 2.875% for 15yr-fixed and THEN:

thoughts? Thanks!

Interest pd on cash-out refi's are no longer deductible bg 1/1/2018.
                Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for physicians, dentists, and medical professionals

Comment

Yes, it seems the bank won't even do a 10yr fixed on a refinanced owner occupied biz mortgage anyway - unless its >$2mil. ha

Just going to stick with the home mortgage refi.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X