X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New home on busy street?

Wife and I are in the process of house hunting. We found a home we really like. It is on a busy city street, but the backyard is quiet and garage is in the back alley so we won't be using the front that faces the street often. It checks a lot of boxes for us, good commute, nice finished basement, good bedroom layout, open layout, walkability to both store/restaurants and good jogging/biking paths.

My parents are steadfast saying we cannot live on a busy street because we have a young child (1 year old), we told them about the fenced backyard but they insist to live in suburbs or find a quiet city street. We understand re-selling this home could be more difficult because of the busy street, but this is not an investment property, we hope/plan to live here for at least 10, but hopefully closer to 20 years.

My instinct it to blow them off, because they were naysaying every house my brother was interested in a few years ago. Would you think it wise to completely avoid city streets, or are my instincts correct?

Also some financial info -- we saved 20% for down payment, and the mortgage would be just below 1x of our income.

It's your house, not your parents. A busy street would be a deal killer for us, though.

Comment

What does busy mean?
      You can't have a quiet backyard if the street is busy....

Comment

We had the exact same concern when we bought our house a year ago - it is on a very busy street. We are very glad we went for it as it’s a great house. I think it’s safer in that it would be very hard for anyone to break in without being seen. We have good windows and don’t hear the road noise. Having a large back yard is a huge help. Snow is always ploughed quickly. So overall happy we made the decision.

Comment

What does busy mean?
          You can’t have a quiet backyard if the street is busy….

here is a photo from google street view of the "busy street"

Comment

As long as there are sidewalks I honestly wouldnt be overly concerned. That looks like a cute neighborhood and walkable! Are those some shops and stores up the road? If you 1) don't play in the front of the house. thats for the backyard. 2) Have a gate to said backyard 3) Teach your kids from a very early age that you don't go in the street-ie, "if you're out playing and run out the gate to the front, run for the street after being told not to etc, sorry but you have to go inside now"- I think you should be good. No sidewalks would be a deal breaker for me.

If you are consistent, children have the ability to listen and learn.

Comment

I guess I should also add that if it sounds very noisy you have to be ok with that and adapt to it, esp with traffic noise when kids are trying to sleep. White noise machines are a miracle invention though.

Comment

I find it’s helpful just to stand in front of the house and observe traffic patterns for 15 mins

We were interested in purchasing a corner lot and just sitting on the driveway for fifteen minutes and observing the car and especially foot traffic was enough for us to figure out the corner lot was too busy for our tastes

Comment

It would be a deal breaker for me as well, it’s also something that may affect your sale down the road. I have kids as well and a fenced back yard, however you will not be there 100% of the time. Also, keep in mind things down the road such as going on walks, riding bikes, scooters, etc from a child standpoint. Having said that, if you’re planning on being there for a long time, go for it if you love it and aren’t concerned with street noise, etc.

Comment

probably also a no from me.

the in laws house is nice because its far from the street and minimal traffic.

Comment

This is a very personal choice.   It is not something I would consider again.  I did live on a busy street during residency and I did not care for it.  Strange cares parked out front.  People milling about.  Lots of road noise.  The dog went nuts, barking at everything.

My wife and I are both small town/ county folk so we are not as tolerant to such things.  You have to be the one to know what you want.

Listen to your parents but only take the advice that makes sense to you.  It is your life to live not theirs but they may make some good points.  Develop a good filter.

If you are really thinking about it go drive by.  Park on the street at different times of day and see what kind of action happens there.  Walk around the neighborhood and check it out.  Your realtor will try to push this faster then it should but take your time and observe.

Ask about seasonal changes.  Is it a tourist town that gets busier in the summer?

Comment

As long as there are sidewalks I honestly wouldnt be overly concerned. That looks like a cute neighborhood and walkable! Are those some shops and stores up the road? If you 1) don’t play in the front of the house. thats for the backyard. 2) Have a gate to said backyard 3) Teach your kids from a very early age that you don’t go in the street-ie, “if you’re out playing and run out the gate to the front, run for the street after being told not to etc, sorry but you have to go inside now”- I think you should be good. No sidewalks would be a deal breaker for me.

If you are consistent, children have the ability to listen and learn.

Good points, well taken. Thanks. It is a very walkable neighborhood with stores and shops near by.

Comment

This is a very personal choice.   It is not something I would consider again.  I did live on a busy street during residency and I did not care for it.  Strange cares parked out front.  People milling about.  Lots of road noise.  The dog went nuts, barking at everything.

My wife and I are both small town/ county folk so we are not as tolerant to such things.  You have to be the one to know what you want.

Listen to your parents but only take the advice that makes sense to you.  It is your life to live not theirs but they may make some good points.  Develop a good filter.

If you are really thinking about it go drive by.  Park on the street at different times of day and see what kind of action happens there.  Walk around the neighborhood and check it out.  Your realtor will try to push this faster then it should but take your time and observe.

Ask about seasonal changes.  Is it a tourist town that gets busier in the summer?

Good to think about these things. We will definitely have to go back and check out the block if we are honing in on this place . It's not a tourist town, it's a mid size city in the midwest.

Comment

it's not my cup of tea.  i'm not sure where you are.  are there going to be loud sounds at night?  fairs/festivals on weekends?  high school football traffic?

from my perspective, unless culturally required, your parents are a non factor in this discussion.

i think the kid question is a reasonable one to be asked, and as with most kid questions, pros and cons to every decision.  it is not inherently unreasonable to raise a kid there.

regarding resale, there are many factors that go into it.  if you price it right, someone will almost always buy it.  however, having had to sit on homes listed for sale for many months, i can tell you that it is no fun.  when i decide to move, i want that house gone. 

good luck!

Comment

Click to expand…

Good to think about these things. We will definitely have to go back and check out the block if we are honing in on this place . It’s not a tourist town, it’s a mid size city in the midwest.

There is a racetrack about 5 miles from my house and it bothers me that I can hear it at night sometimes.  Take what I say with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X