X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability Insurance for Dental Students

I have a friend who is a rising 4th year dental student and they mentioned to me that they are considering purchasing disability insurance prior to their 4th year of dental school. I just graduated medical school myself, so as WCI recommends I am purchasing disability insurance for myself as I begin residency. My main question is that my friend is under the impression that it is more advisable for dental students to purchase disability insurance during school due to the higher risk of disability within their field, is that the standard advice from trusted experts? Disability insurance is not cheap, so I'd hate for them to take out even more loans to pay for a policy that (hopefully) they don't need this next year. Thanks for your help!

My wife had a professor in dental school who lost two or three fingers hooking up a boat trailer to a trailer hitch. The professor could teach didactics, but was useless clinically.

You wouldn’t want to get $200K in undergrad debt and $400K in medical or dental school debt and then not be able to work in your profession for a meaningful income.

Comment

Originally posted by DocintheBox View Post
      I have a friend who is a rising 4th year dental student and they mentioned to me that they are considering purchasing disability insurance prior to their 4th year of dental school. I just graduated medical school myself, so as WCI recommends I am purchasing disability insurance for myself as I begin residency. My main question is that my friend is under the impression that it is more advisable for dental students to purchase disability insurance during school due to the higher risk of disability within their field, is that the standard advice from trusted experts? Disability insurance is not cheap, so I'd hate for them to take out even more loans to pay for a policy that (hopefully) they don't need this next year. Thanks for your help!
      I am not sure the risk is higher in dental school than out of dental school and in practice. There are some discounts that are attached to dental schools but not as many or as much there are for MD/DO's and that is due to the claim ratio is higher for dentists. Probably one of the biggest things dentists should do is check pricing based on the dental school state vs. the state they may practice in as there can be 35% pricing swing based on states alone.

Comment

Working...
      X