Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best disability insurance for surgeons?

As I mentioned in another post, I am a resident in the process of selecting a disability insurance. I am in a surgical subspecialty and wondering which company is better suited for surgeons. I am confused about the term "medical specialty" in the language of some policies. If I cannot perform surgeries, there is little role to see patients in the clinic. Ideally, I would like a policy that pays total disability if I cannot operate regardless of me deciding to see patients in clinic. Is Guardian in this regard better? I have seen the definition that if 50% of my income is from performing procedures, I would qualify for disability if I cannot operate anymore, but it also includes the term of hands-on care, which I am not sure what it means. I have hear Principal provides a letter to define the specialty. Is this legally binding?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

The big 6 carriers are essentially the same because they look at the cpt code you have need billing for and that is true representative of the work you have been doing which creates your income. Be sure you are receiving max discounts applied to the contract you obtain.

Comment

By the way be mindful of a contract that is bloated with riders that don’t bring great value so be sure to look at probabilities vs. possibilities.

Comment

Thanks for your response. So with any of the 6 major carriers, if I can no longer operate but continue to see patients in clinic and do research, I would still receive full benefits?

Comment

Every case is different but typically if you can't do surgery and that was your occupation at the time of claim then yes you would be on claim 100%.

Comment

When I went through this Principal, Mutual of Omaha, Guardian, Mass Mutual were the big ones. I feel the key is getting an agent who actually looks out for you. It took me a really long time because things kept changing but I had an agent who's son is a doctor and was very decent and interested in what I needed, happy to pass on contact if you PM me. Additional info on the site here:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/wh...ity-insurance/

Comment

Working...
            X