Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pierre View Post
    What did you end up doing OP?
    Yesterday I decided to invest in betterment, Wealthfront or Charles Schwab intelligent Portfolio or just invest it myself. The fees are low and have tax harvesting. Re-reading the comments. We have no kids, but planning on 2 (through normal or adoption).
    I am still figuring out where the money will go. I have 100,000 to invest a year.

401ks 19500 x 2 = 39,000 allocated
    hsa - 5100 (max we can) allocated
    stocks-bonds-index-mutual funds - $20000 Mostly allocated (2 Roth’s at 12000 per year remaining goes into brokerage)
    36000 to an index fund, and buy life insurance Perm.

my wife has disability insurance that’s like 2.4k a year, I need to look at that as she got it while a resident and I wasn’t analyzing anything.

Thanks all for your help.

Comment

There are good reasons not to use those robo advisers. Investing is simple and you can do it yourself.

Get wife's life and disability insurance taken care of before pregnancy. That is about the most dangerous thing for women of child bearing age. You will get better rates before she becomes pregnant and will be protected if something goes wrong.

Comment

well done man on not buying whole life insurance. I myself got duped into buying a policy, and 7 years later I was in credit card debt trying to keep up with the premiums. I got educated thanks to WCI, did a 1035 exchange of both policies (was for both me and my wife) to preserve the cost basis, but in the end I lost 50K on this "safe" investment

Comment

Originally posted by racelari View Post
          well done man on not buying whole life insurance. I myself got duped into buying a policy, and 7 years later I was in credit card debt trying to keep up with the premiums. I got educated thanks to WCI, did a 1035 exchange of both policies (was for both me and my wife) to preserve the cost basis, but in the end I lost 50K on this "safe" investment
          Thanks for the information, I think the policies work long term, definitely not a short term thing. At least you got out of it. I am going to keep reading, thanks for all the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X