Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disability insurance - how to calculate what's taxable (check my math/understanding)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability insurance - how to calculate what's taxable (check my math/understanding)

Working through the WCI newletters and getting my disability insurance set up but trying to calculate exactly what amount of income I should target as I add an individual policy.

I have a 10k/month group policy through my employer of which 85% of the premium is paid by the employer. I get that means it will be taxed as income

So does that mean I take $8500 x12 = 102,000 and pay at the 22% marginal tax rate for MFJ status? Do I have to pay FICA taxes on that as well (assuming not)? I'm assuming no payroll tax. And do deductions (standard or itemized) work the same way? I assume they would...

If all that's correct, using the standard deduction, it would look like this: 102000 - 24800= 77200 as taxable income. Based on the brackets, that equates to ~9k of federal taxes without any credits applied. So (77200-9000)/12=5683. And then with the additional 15% of my benefit being untaxed, would equal 5683+1500=7183/month.

I realize I would also need to add in State income taxes, but this is a start...

Where did I screw this up?
    TIA
Working...
X