X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pierre View Post

What is the first thing? I remember playing Doom, but not that specifically.

Does Goldeneye also fall into this generation? NBA Jam (He's on fire!!)?
    You turn around and get the chainsaw. you start on a cliff and if you take a step forward you fall off and you can never get it for the rest of the game.

I don't mean to brag but I am possibly the best player of GoldenEye ever created. Even if I do not play as oddjob and I am stuck with the klobb. unfortunately that is not a game that has stood the test of time and it is rather unplayable now.

Comment

I never played Doom 2 very much. I did enjoy Doom 1 in my day. I always started the game like this:
      Select "Hurt me plenty" difficulty
      Type in iddqd (God Mode)
      Type in idclip (walk through walls, no weapons (so you kill everything with your bare hands))
      Good way to blow off some steam

Sadly I never did find the cheat code that turns all the levels into hospital wings, and all the monsters into administrators in suits. That would have made it a lot more gratifying!

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium View Post
        I never played Doom 2 very much. I did enjoy Doom 1 in my day. I always started the game like this:
        Select "Hurt me plenty" difficulty
        Type in iddqd (God Mode)
        Type in idclip (walk through walls, no weapons (so you kill everything with your bare hands))
        Good way to blow off some steam

Sadly I never did find the cheat code that turns all the levels into hospital wings, and all the monsters into administrators in suits. That would have made it a lot more gratifying!
        They were basically the same game but the second one had better marketing and was more widely spread.

I would play your hospital version

Comment

... Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis) & Super Mario (Nintendo Entertainment System)??? Or were those too mainstream?

Comment

I played Oregon trail a lot. I figured out that i could hunt buffalo with bullets relatively cheaply and then sell them. I made millions. No more fording rivers, I could always take the ferry, the Tesla of Oregon trail.

And I thought gen z was referred to as the tide pod eaters. Of course they're not here to defend their tide pod eating brethren.

Comment

One generation is defined by the end of WWII, the next the Vietnam war , and we finally reach video games.
              May the force be with you!

Comment

Originally posted by pierre View Post

What is the first thing? I remember playing Doom, but not that specifically.

Does Goldeneye also fall into this generation? NBA Jam (He's on fire!!)?
                Goldeneye is gen x.

Comment

I think starcraft subsumed both gen x and xennials. It might have gotten a few millennials too. I remember ditching my ENT rotations to go play. This was before DSM gaming addiction was a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I don't mean to brag but I am possibly the best player of GoldenEye ever created. Even if I do not play as oddjob and I am stuck with the klobb. unfortunately that is not a game that has stood the test of time and it is rather unplayable now.
                    People quit playing with me unless I promised to stop proximity mining all the spawn points.
                    Haven't played it in many years but I suspect you are right, nostalgia factor aside.

Comment

Originally posted by JBME View Post
                      as for why 1997 is the cut off or 1981 is another cut off, demographers tend to define a generation as 25 years. That mostly lines up with the current definitions. I myself am also an old millennial, born in November 1981. I definitely remember life before the internet and had the same experience as Lordosis. FB started in the middle of my senior year of college. Before that people were kinda/sorta using MySpace. I didn't get on board right away, as is usually the case with technology, and didn't get a FB account until 2007. Older millenials also remember a time when not everyone had their own cell phone. People born in the 90s as opposed to the 80s probably don't remember when mom and dad didn't each have a cell phone
                      Similar age. Still not on social media. My spouse is though. Getting a cell phone was a big deal back in the day. My first one had the pull-out antenna. Didn't even have text messaging because my dad was too cheap to pay for it. We had multiple computers prior to even getting dial-up.

Comment

I played Number Munchers on my 3rd grade computer. In the next year or two it was Math Blaster and Lewis and Clark. I think the latter was a forerunner to Oregon Trail, which was probably too complicated for me. I remember the days of getting AOL CD's in the mail all too well. I could probably have filled my car with them.

Comment

Perhaps more relevant to WCIF
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemonade_Stand

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                            Ha! Never played the game, but I did run many successful koolaid stands as a kid. Our gimmick was to mix four flavors. If you could identify all four flavors you got a free cup. I must have made at least $5 off my brother over the summer (the price was 10 cents a cup).

Comment

Wow... I must not have played enough games or maybe I am too old...
                              Being Gen X, Ms Pac Man is my favorite.
                              I did not play a ton of video games (although seem to remember some Indian Jones like game on Atari gaming system where you jumped from rope to rope with crocodiles underneath you) and remember as a resident being good at Laparoscopy and the attendings saying "you must have played a lot of video games!" They were shocked when my answer was no.
                              I did have a Game Boy in high school...
                              First cell phone was as a resident. Had a pager in medical school but was not "alphanumeric" which is super sad.
                              As resident, moved up to alphanumeric pager and a Blue Razor flip phone, which was the BOMB!
                              https://www.ebay.com/i/183996773404?...saAkBUEALw_wcB
                              Didn't get my first iPhone (iPhone 3) until a few years into practice.
                              Fun to see all the different milestones in peoples lives by the products that were popular.
                              Of note: our first family computer was a Apple 2 Plus! I also remember going to Gemco (which was like a Target back in the days) to put our first Microwave at age 7 or so... it was huge... like the size of an oven that sat on our counter top.

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                                Omg! Lemonade stand?! I remember that game although I never played it more than a few times. Wow. Also had an NES and a Super NES. I actually still have the SNES and eventually, to my wife’s chagrin, I’ll sometimes let my kids play ina few years when they are older

Comment

Working...
                                X