Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife is a music professor (voice) but took piano lessons for 10 years as a kid. She can play anything you put in front of her. Here's her answer -

"I recommend a digital piano with weighted keys. Something in the $500-$1000 range. You can put headphones in and the others in the house won't hear you practicing and you won't hear your kids playing. It never needs to be tuned and they can play with the special effects for fun. Then later on if they/you stick with it and become more advanced you can purchase a "real" piano."
    Last edited by jfoxcpacfp; 12-14-2019, 12:33 PM. Reason: changed "$100" to $1000" (hope my assumption is correct!)

Comment

I’ve been playing since age 8. Got pretty good until college stopped me from practicing. My oldest child just turned six and we’re planning to find a teacher over the next few months.

we bought a classic upright piano 6 years ago for $75. Yes, under $100. Got it from a church that didn’t need it and it came with a bench. Cost more to move it home. Found on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. Still plays great.

my parents are trying to downsize and get rid of the baby grand they got for me when I was a kid. Back then they got a decent deal, I think between $1-2k. They’ll be lucky to have someone take it of their hands for free! So yeah they can’t even sell it. You should definitely get a decent upright for under $500. Just be patient. We perused for 3-6 months

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGlennCPA View Post
        My wife is a music professor (voice) but took piano lessons for 10 years as a kid. She can play anything you put in front of her. Here's her answer -

"I recommend a digital piano with weighted keys. Something in the $500-$1000 range. You can put headphones in and the others in the house won't hear you practicing and you won't hear your kids playing. It never needs to be tuned and they can play with the special effects for fun. Then later on if they/you stick with it and become more advanced you can purchase a "real" piano."
        Disagree, a digital piano in that price range will not have anywhere near the same action or experience as playing on a regular acoustic piano. I recommend a used piano but take along someone who knows how to play when you test it.

Comment

If you're serious on piano...get a piano. If kicking the tires. Electric..

That said. University resales for quality pianos. Nextdoor is a great place for 2nd hand local stuff that's reliable and not waste or your time

Comment

• Tim
            Tim commented
            Editing a comment
            “That said. University resales for quality pianos. “
            One anecdotal experience. Did not buy.
            The “event” was hosted by the retailer, not the university. The deals seemed like pianos coming off of lease and being sold at used dealer price. Not much of a discount and no where near a private party sale.

Piano tuners are an excellent source for used pianos.

Comment

Wow! There are 8 free ones in my area classifieds right now. $100 is a popular price too.
            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

• mianesmd
              mianesmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Same in my area...being in a university town I'm pretty sure we have a ton of awesome used ones and one could get a heck of a deal...it's just hard without experience to make sure you're finding it. I think I need a used piano broker!

Originally posted by The White Coat Investor View Post
            Wow! There are 8 free ones in my area classifieds right now. $100 is a popular price too.
            Not knowing much about pianos, I understand some are not tune-able so would need to watch out for that

Comment

"I think I need a used piano broker!" Piano mover, looking at 300-600 lbs. Piano dolly and any step are challenging. Any piano tuner will tell you where the deals are. Might actually be worth it to pay him for one you are thinking about. "Check it out" keeps you from having a really large doorstop.

Comment

Working...
              X