Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to view all new posts in each sub forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to view all new posts in each sub forum?

I used to see the forum in such a way that all posts across each of the various sub forums showed up in chronological order on one page... has anyone found a way to do this again?

This is what I’m referring to:
    https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/

Thanks

I liked that feature as well. It looks like clicking on "Forums" -> then "Most Recent" does it.

Comment

Originally posted by okayplayer View Post
      I used to see the forum in such a way that all posts across each of the various sub forums showed up in chronological order on one page... has anyone found a way to do this again?

This is what I’m referring to:
      https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/

Thanks
      After some pondering, and seeing this new forum...

This feature is the #1 reason I enjoyed the (last rendition of the) WCI forum. I don't think I'll stay and if it doesn't get fixed - at least I'll really have to consider how much extra effort I'll put in when I enjoy browsing with my coffee in the morning. Categories first It simply adds too much extra clicking. I (almost) don't care about the categories. I come to visit, talk, and converse with friends. Such a conversation doesn't follow strict categories. When forums constrain the conversation to low value categories, it increases the human mental effort to get into the conversations, and thus lowers the broad adoption of the masses, while limiting the conversation to those few ardent few who put in the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by jbmitt View Post
        I liked that feature as well. It looks like clicking on "Forums" -> then "Most Recent" does it.
        Thank you!

Comment

Thanks jbmitt! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll just bookmark https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/fo...ssage%22%5D%7D

Comment

I do think the categories should be consolidated at a minimum

Comment

Originally posted by okayplayer View Post
              Thanks jbmitt! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'll just bookmark https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/fo...ssage%22%5D%7D
              It isn’t as clean when browsing on a phone, but it’s a start.

Comment

Suggest put the view most recent button in the main forum page as a button.

Comment

Originally posted by beagler View Post
                  If you click on the blue double arrow to the right of the post time, it will take you to the most recent post.
                  Financial planning, investment management and CPA services for medical professionals | 270-247-6087

Comment

On desktop, it is a very prominent link. How much more buttony can I make it? I'm trying to think of a solution on mobile, but haven't come up with it yet. It's definitely a bit more unwieldy there.

The regular users prefer that view, but bear in mind the vast majority of users are not regular users and the categories may be more useful for someone who comes by a couple of times a year. Certainly it helps guide them better because they'll actually see the sticky threads.

At any rate, it's built in. The other set-up was a customization enabled by having a forum built from scratch. But that customization was also the cause of pretty much every problem you ever saw with the old forum.
                    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Originally posted by childay View Post
                      I do think the categories should be consolidated at a minimum
                      Which ones should be combined?
                      Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

To go back to "view recent" you've got to scroll up, hit the hamburger then select most recent. Or bookmark it and hit that. Or hit back arrow ti you get there. Suggest one dedicated button with view recent on main screen rather than drop down hamburger. Same for mobile.

Only "frequent" users prefer this view you are correct, but that is the bulk of the posters.

Otherwise one has to click on each subforum repeatedly to see all fresh content. So another way is to reduce the forums to 3: new/intro, investing, and general. Then the regulars can just hit the 2nd two forums instead of clicking each ~7 subforums.

Comment

To go back to "view recent" you've got to scroll up, hit the hamburger then select most recent. Or bookmark it and hit that. Or hit back arrow ti you get there. Suggest one dedicated button with view recent on main screen rather than drop down hamburger. Same for mobile.

Only "frequent" users prefer this view you are correct, but that is the bulk of the posters.

Otherwise one has to click on each subforum repeatedly to see all fresh content. So another way is to reduce the forums to 3: new/intro, investing, and general. Then the regulars can just hit the 2nd two forums instead of clicking each ~7 subforums.
                          # 1 Hit that link "most recent" instead of the home symbol. Super easy on desktop/laptop, but admittedly more complex than I'd like on mobile. No need to hamburger anything except on mobile.

# 2 Frequent users might be the bulk of posters, but not users. Check out that new feature that shows who is online 90% of users aren't even logged in.

# 3 We're not going to just 3 forums. Sorry. I can think of 3 or 4 potential consolidations, but that's about it. I find it funny that people are clamoring for fewer sub forums now whereas they were always wanting more sub forums on the old forum.

Comment

• ENT Doc
                            ENT Doc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            More sub forums in the old mode was no problem because the home button view always brought you to an updated list of all current posts. This situation is not comparable.

Regarding the new or uncommon vs regular users, while the site may be frequented more by transients and infrequent posters, who does most of the posting? Where are the answers derived that those non logged on users and transients seeing - from transients or frequent users? The base that likely shows up and clicks on advertising links is sticking around to do so because of the informational content in the forum, which is driven by frequent users.

Is it possible to make the arrow larger to go to the newest post in the thread? Or move it to the end of the thread title perhaps?

Comment

• Lordosis
                            Lordosis commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If it can't be made bigger could it be separated from the other clickable text. I have accidentally clicked the title and profile links more then a couple times. I realize this seems picky but it is probably the most common button I hit.
                            A dedicated recent activity button would be nice. Rather then going through the hamburger.

• The White Coat Investor
                            Editing a comment
                            Making it bigger is on the "bug list" the developer is working on. So is the "hamburger" on the mobile version. The first should be easy to fix. The second I'm not sure.

• Lordosis
                            Lordosis commented
                            Editing a comment
                            At least on Chrome on my PC I have to use the Hamburger to get to recent posts as well.

The question is similar to setting up folders in a mailbox. When looking for something, categorizing posts are a great value. Plowing through that inbox is a PITA.
                          • The analogy is a new user or guest’s first impression will have a ton of garbage (not very helpful finding the topic that lured the to the forum to begin with). Without knowing the navigation, chances of retention are greatly diminished.
                          • Members probably want to go directly to updates. Scan and take a look.
                          Do they go to WCI select Forum? No. Directly to Forum and look. An extra step added to select most recent. Not a care in the world about categories. What’s new?
                          Competing user needs.
                          •Any chance that a user could set a profile to go to most recent? Default to category for the newbies, allow navigation back to categories, but allow a member to choose to use it like an inbox. Sort through some of the pondering posts (Rolex watch is a classic) . Option to set most recent is convenient and voluntary.

•Adding most recent to the top might be a compromise.

Purely options, no opinion. Jim has some valid points about new users and categories. He is obviously trying to balance competing priorities.

Comment

Working...
                          X