Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mid 30's yo Oral Surgeon in small town USA. I have both dental and med school loans. My wife is a stay at home (actually small side business) anesthesiologist with med school loans; but shes the best mom in the world to our 3 kiddos. Hopefully we'll be knocking those 3 student loans (2 MD's and 1 DDS) out sometime this decade. I love what I do but I'd love the financial independence to not care about showing up to work to make sure loans/retirement/kids colleges/mortgages are paid for. The WCI has saved me thousands with refinancing high loans to ~2%, starting a backdoor roth, and slowly allowing me to pull away from a financial advisor who is sucking the blood out of my puny accounts. Thanks WCI

Comment

• My name is Cassandra Williams MD, hospitalist and now much smarter since finding WCI last year

Comment

• Mid 30's. Nephrologist employed in a small practice. Introduced to WCI in 2003 and since learnt a lot and helped many of my friends and colleagues. Also contributed and support the WCI scholarship which is a great idea. I like this new forum like the 'bogleheads' forums and really looking forward to learn and contribute.  

Comment

• Senior EM resident just looking to start my 4 yr army hpsp payback.  I feel like I've already learned so much from wci and am looking forward to using the forum as well.

Comment

• Hello,

My name is Robert. I am a 50 year old (20 year) interventional radiologist. I am winding down the IR career and looking forward to my encore career...when I get it all figured out!

Comment

• 2nd (almost 3rd) year medical student who has been reading WCI since before starting school. Like many others, I've learned so much from this site, and even though much of this stuff doesn't yet apply to me, I feel like I am at a large advantage going forward through my career. I'm excited to see what else I can learn from others on these forums!

Comment

• Hi WCI Community!  My name is Adam.  I am the spouse of an MD.  My wife is the typical doc that doesn't do well with finances.  She freely says, "My idea of finances is savings and expenses".  I do all the finances.  I do the taxes, budgeting, investing, retirement planning.  Last year when I was wanting a financial advisor to at least look at our situation, my wife didn't want me to at first, then relented.  I interviewed several but my wife didn't really want to be part of the process.  She said it's all up to me.  Financial decisions... I always ask her for her input and it's always the same:  Whatever you think is best.

One financial advisor, who I really liked and agree with on a lot of things, referred me here, to WCI.  Johanna Fox Turner.  She has been a wonderful asset and directed me here to WCI (another wonderful asset).  I ended up not going with her as our philosophies align up to the breaking point of listening to Nick Murray.  While he says some things I agree with; there is a lot I don't.  I thought parts of his book were very helpful, but was turned off by other parts.  As I do not "buy-in" to Nick Murray fully, I felt we weren't the best match (but we were close).  Still, I very much enjoy getting her newsletters and reading what she has to say on NerdWallet, and I would be comfortable sending my wife to her for financial/life planning should anything happen to me.

I will be the one on here representing my family even though I don't have a white coat.  I am a stay at home dad by choice.  I have a BSE in biomedical engineering, minors in philosophy and mathematics, and MSEd in education in curriculum and design.  My jobs varied as I followed my wife through medical school and residency and now to her permanent (we hope) location in Iowa.  I have worked as an analyst for a firm that runs data and analyses for insurance companies, have taught high school math and physics, and have taught various math courses at a technical college as well as super subbing many different sciences and running the lab for the medical lab technician program.

We have two boys and have 529s.  We bought our home when we moved post residency.  We have incredible amounts of student loan debt as my wife put herself through school and was the first in her family to even go to college.  We have refinanced with DRB and are happy at the moment.  I know there have been many posts going back and forth about different student loan companies.  Our retirement is just starting as my wife didn't get it until now and my job changing left very little for retirement funds.  We have minimal amounts put into IRAs as well.  We use an HSA.  I think that's a basic run down of our finances and experiences for both our input and areas of our questions.

It's good to be here, and I'm glad WCI exists!!!

Comment

• Hi, Adam - glad you found your way to WCI! I think you'll find a great support system here and, even though you're pretty far ahead on the financial learning curve, you'll still learn a lot. (And appreciate the props, very kind of you.)
                  Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

• I am the spouse of an MD...I do all the finances....I have a BSE in biomedical engineering

You are among friends. Or at least one.

Comment

• Gastroenterologist in Utah with large dreams but living on a budget. Wish I could be as financially savvy as Dr. Dahle and some of the posters here!

Comment

• I am a mid-late career vascular surgeon in SLC. The ruptured AAA did just fine Jim!

Comment

• Hi. Ob-MFM retired 2 years ago. Boglehead before I knew there were Bogleheads - thank you Mr. Bogle!  Have followed WCI for years - thank you Dr Dahle.

Comment

• I'm a Podiatry resident at a large hospital in Michigan. I've learned so much from this site and look forward to continuing my financial education. Thank you, Dr. Dahle!

Comment

• I am in my 3rd decade of practice, emergency medicine.  It is good to have a place like this to talk about financial decision making and investing with other docs. Money issues can typically be difficult to discuss with colleagues and friends, many of whom are at a similar stage of their careers but are in a very different place financially despite high incomes due to things like divorce, living beyond their means, and other poor financial choices.

Comment

• age 58, female, ER doc.   I intend to be provocative.  No fun otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X