X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a change to Pharma for career satisfaction

My question isn't totally about finance but it intersects with it, and more than that, I've always gotten stellar advice on this forum and feel that many of the issues that are driving me to consider a career change will make sense to people here.

Very brief background: I've been a scrappy entrepreneur since med school - I published > 30 papers during residency, edited books, created programs for resident engagement and teaching, and ran a clinical trial by collaborating with a basic science lab at my institution. I've been in my current, hospital employed clinical job for 2 years (I really don't want to be a full time researcher as the process is too laborious), and helped start new programs that are bringing in > $1m in clinical revenue, dramatically improved our relationships with the community providers, improved our metrics, and helped recruit multiple physicians.

My problem: It's not clear that the hospital system is particularly interested in giving me more of a role in leadership/innovation. There are existing structures where this work is mostly done by experienced nurses and social workers. And although I love seeing patients, I love program development more, become uncomfortable if I'm not building something, and most days, feel like I'm a square peg in a round hole. There isn't a single other doctor at the institution who is trying to open new programs. I would think the hospital would support me doing this and grant me more autonomy, given the success I've had, but its just not the 'model' anymore. They are happy to have my input, but retain all decision making power, can completely change things without consulting me, and certainly don't compensate me at all for this work. I have asked questions like "If I continue to work on developing this program, and recruit a new physician, can there be some assurance that it will follow the model I am proposing, and that I will have a leadership role?", and the response is always "We are definitely interested in expanding this area".

My question: I was approached by a talent scout in Pharma this week for a medical director role. What do folks think? Could this be a better fit?

Finance piece: I am well paid, but probably don't need to worry to much about a pay cut - DINKs, no debt, still very young (28 and 31), house is half paid off.

What is it exactly that you do. So you want to leave clinical medicine and work for a pharmaceutical co. Not enough information.

Comment

It sounds like a better fit and you're excited about it. If it doesn't work out, you might be able to return if you don't burn bridges on your way out.

Comment

How long have you been in your current position?

Comment

I published > 30 papers during residency

I'm exhausted just reading that.

not clear that the hospital system is particularly interested in giving me more of a role in leadership/innovation.

time for new hospital?

talent scout in Pharma this week for a medical director role

or can you do some of both?

...no debt... house is half paid off.

sigh.

Comment

What is it exactly that you do. So you want to leave clinical medicine and work for a pharmaceutical co. Not enough information.

I'm a psychiatrist employed by a hospital, I do clinical work, teaching and the other things described. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I published > 30 papers during residency 
              Click to expand…

I’m exhausted just reading that.

not clear that the hospital system is particularly interested in giving me more of a role in leadership/innovation. 
              Click to expand…

time for new hospital?

talent scout in Pharma this week for a medical director role 
              Click to expand…

or can you do some of both?

…no debt… house is half paid off. 
              Click to expand…

sigh.

Re new hospital - right, thats what I'm wondering, have people found systems that are more inclusive off physicians in these types of roles? I know of places that are even worse in this regard.

Re some of both - yeah, I'm hoping an option exists where I just do clinical work at my current hospital and access this opportunity to satisfy my other interests.

Re house - sorry, I am a late bloomer to financial literacy. I guess I could refinance and increase the mortgage again haha.

Comment

How long have you been in your current position?

3 years. It might be that I'm impatient, but I also don't want to wait forever if there isn't really scope for growth. If my boss said 'keeping doing this for x period of time and we can talk' I'd be open to that.

Comment

“My question: I was approached by a talent scout in Pharma this week for a medical director role. What do folks think? Could this be a better fit?”
                  It definitely could. Missed the part where the job responsibilities interest you and is a better fit.
                  How are you going react if “5 promising projects “ you propose are turned down and your “goals” are defined for you. Zero input, get to work with unreasonable deadlines and shortcuts the company culture?

Unless the Pharma sees value in “moonlighting “, I wouldn’t expect cooperation.

Comment

“My question: I was approached by a talent scout in Pharma this week for a medical director role. What do folks think? Could this be a better fit?”
                    It definitely could. Missed the part where the job responsibilities interest you and is a better fit.
                    How are you going react if “5 promising projects “ you propose are turned down and your “goals” are defined for you. Zero input, get to work with unreasonable deadlines and shortcuts the company culture?

Unless the Pharma sees value in “moonlighting “, I wouldn’t expect cooperation.

I have an interest and relevant background in the content area and with clinical trials - thats a good point, if I didn't it wouldn't even make sense to consider.

But yes, I am not trying to swap one problematic corporate culture for another. I'm trying to gain some perspective on whether the culture in Pharma for these types of roles is a better fit. If it is the case that they are going to define the role precisely and allow for zero input with unreasonable deadlines then that wouldn't be a better fit. Has that been your experience?

Comment

No experience with Pharma and not an MD.
                      The more things change, the more they are the same.
                      The immediate superior and one step up are obviously the most important. Surprise, sometimes the chain of command is overruled or ignored. And then a management change occurs and a reorganization leaves you on and island.
                      No one can answer except the person you are replacing.

Comment

Your 28 and 3 years post residency?

Comment

I think it’s fairly rare and not something I would expect in regards to receiving external validation on the quality and importance of your work in this day and age.

You’re obviously driven. I would go somewhere where it will be appreciated

Comment

Sounds like you should start your own practice

Comment

I’m currently reading through David Epstein’s book after seeing him referenced in the latest WCI newsletter. It’s perfect for those considering a career pivot or change, like the one you are considering. Although I’m not currently in this position, I would highly recommend the book!

Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World https://www.amazon.com/dp/0735214484/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wUDwDbN1N2BA5

Comment

Working...
                              X