X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New side hustle as a medical director

I currently work full time at a health center seeing patients 32 hours/week where I am a W2 employee.

I have quite a few side hustles all paying 1099 income.

I just took on an interim medical directorship position at a different health center doing 8 admin hours/week mostly overseeing the NPs and PAs but not doing any direct patient care myself. I was planning to do this as 1099 income and further contribute to my i401k this year but considering I do not carry my own individual malpractice insurance, the clinic informed me that the only way for me to be covered by their malpractice insurance is if they pay me as a W2 employee. Does this sound right? If so, are there any downsides to having two simultaneous W2 paying jobs (these are in 2 different states) other than me not being able to put some of this money into my i401k?

Thanks

No.

Comment

the clinic informed me that the only way for me to be covered by their malpractice insurance is if they pay me as a W2 employee.

This is not correct unless there's something else going on. There are plenty of independent contractors who get their malpractice insurance covered. In fact, this is standard and not having it covered would be rare.

Comment

It differs by the insurance type.  The policy may have been written so that it only covers employees and not independent contractors.

Comment

It differs by the insurance type.  The policy may have been written so that it only covers employees and not independent contractors.

That doesn't prevent them from getting a different policy. There's a difference between can't and won't.

Comment

Working...
          X