X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fam doc job that has summers off?

Does anyone know the best way to go about trying to find a family doc job that allows for summer vacations (jun 1-July 31) off? Is it even possible to find a salaried position that would allow us to do this or is locumens the only way to allow us this flexibility?

the goal is for fam doc to work .8 during the school year (ideally 7:30/8am-4pm hours but I know pretty unlikely we could find this) and have time off when kids are not in school to travel as a family or do medical missions trips when kids are older.

been reading a lot about FIRE but don't really have a burning ambition to retire early. We would prefer to cut back on work now while kids are young and continue working part-time until kids graduate high school.

We're trying to think outside the box to maximize and prioritize family time while finding a position that covers the usual benefits I.e., health insurance, provides malpractice insurance, etc and make min of 125k. Trying to get a feel for if what we're trying to do is even feasible or if we need to tweak our expectations.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

That would be difficult in a traditional Family Med role because part of that role is continuity of care. If you were gone for 3 months then who would see your patients? May look in to urgent care employment that would allow more flexible hours.

Comment

I know of someone who does so for at a university clinic. Makes about $80K in the SE.

Comment

Would be really tough in a traditional family medicine practice, unfortunately. If you don’t mind locums, that would be the way to go. You might even check into urgent care or telemedicine, since summers in both tend to be a lot slower, and they may not mind having you gone.

Comment

Jun1-July31 is only 8 weeks - maybe instead of framing it as "summers off", think of it as "job with lots of vacation (that can be taken in a big block)".

Comment

only working when the kids are in school--no evenings/nights/weekends/holidays/summers--plus with benies and decent salary?  quantum mechanics would suggest that the chance is not zero, just astonishingly small.

agree with others, locums or per diem urgent care gigs might work--at least for getting days off--but then you have the min salary requirement too (higher when accounting for fact you will likely need to fund your own health insurance).  and UC, you're working evenings, weekends, holidays.

is there any possibility of sharing a job?  ideally with someone who wants winter months off?

or can you home school and just shift the time that you take trips (i.e. not for 2 months, and not when the rest of the practice wants to go on summer vaca too)

Comment

Dude, everyone wants Summers off with their kids.

Comment

Work perdiem. Unlimited time off technically.

Comment

My guess is that this will be difficult to impossible especially if you really want to do primary care.

If you are willing to do locums it's easy b/c you just don't offer availability. But locums and kids tend not to mix well.

If you can handle urgent care you might float out an offer that might be attractive to a medical director e.g. you'll work disproportionate weekends, PMs, and holidays in the non summer months in exchange for summers off.

Comment

We're open to urgent care and possibly locumens if need be.  In fact, probably prefer Uc vs clinic. Having practiced fam med for past 13 years, he doesn't feel the need to do full-spectrum fam med anymore. We're looking to prioritize less stressful lifestyle and family time.

Anyone have experience with locums? Recommendations for companies you have worked for?  Is it easy to do locums yourself vs going through a company?

Comment

Currently homeschooling, but when we move we anticipate kids will be back in school and participating in sports so unfortunately we're stuck with wanting to take summers off when everyone else wants off too.

Comment

Change jobs every June? I'm getting 8 weeks off between positions. It seems like you could find an urgent care who would be willing to consider 8 weeks off in the summer if they were desperate enough. But you wouldn't have the nice schedule with no nights or weekends.

Comment

Lol. Millennials.

Comment

Actually we're gen x (44 yo) but not sure that has to with anything.

Comment

I am an employed family doc at a mid size community hospital. We have ten offices. We have one doc who basically goes where she is needed and covers extended leaves like maternity or medical leaves or will fill in after someone leaves or retired until a full time gets hired. Personally I would hate getting shipped around and not knowing any of the patients but she likes the flexibility. Not sure how you find something like this but it does exist. Good luck hunting unicorns.

Comment

Working...
                              X