Announcement

Collapse

WCI Course Sale!

Fire Your Financial Advisor and Continuing Financial Education 2020 are on sale now through midnight MDT on July 13, 2020. Purchase either at 10% off and also get CFE2018, the Park City conference course, for FREE!
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/FYFASale
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/CFESale
See more
See less

What do you have in your Roth

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DesertDoc
    replied
    How much of a value tilt did you do?  I'm considering a value tilt in each of my accounts.  I'm doing DFA target value I at 15% in my 401k right now (only good small value option offered and I'm always hearing good things about DFA).  I'm thinking of doing the same in my Roth (probably vanguard small cap value or VIOV) and taxable (IJS or VIOV).

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied

I guess my question really is what part of the total stock market would be beneficial to put in the Roth.  Large cap, Mid, Vs Small?  Does it really matter?  I do not really want to value tilt or tilt to anything else.  I just want to replicated the TSM.

You could argue that putting SCV in Roth is the best way to maximize the tax-adjusted return of your portfolio.  But then if you are trying to replicate TSM across your whole portfolio you would have to compensate elsewhere, presumably by tilting to large and growth in taxable.  That may also be more tax-efficient in the end.  Overall though I think you will judge it is not worth the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• Drop it into MD
    replied
    I guess my question really is what part of the total stock market would be beneficial to put in the Roth.  Large cap, Mid, Vs Small?  Does it really matter?  I do not really want to value tilt or tilt to anything else.  I just want to replicated the TSM.

Leave a comment:

• bean1970
    replied

Why bonds in a Roth? Good question, reasonable question. Well, I don’t have a ton of bonds, but most of my bonds are in IRAs.  I was very glad to have those bonds (anywhere) the last few months. Where should bonds go? Non-Roth IRAs (yes I have some here too)? After tax accounts (yes I have some here too).

Most of my bonds and value stocks are in IRAs because they are not as tax efficient as stock index funds, or at least that is my rational. Is that crazy? Question for the pros: where are your bonds?

bonds can go wherever you want but from a tax standpoint it is ideal to have tax-free bonds (like munis) in a taxable account and other bonds in tax sheltered accounts.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    In decreasing order - SCHH, VBR, IVOV (plan to change this back to VOE in 10 days to avoid a wash sale), SCHV, SCHC, and VSS.

Leave a comment:

• treesrock
    replied
    What funds are people using for small-to-mid cap value?

Leave a comment:

• Tangler
    replied
    Why bonds in a Roth? Good question, reasonable question. Well, I don't have a ton of bonds, but most of my bonds are in IRAs.  I was very glad to have those bonds (anywhere) the last few months. Where should bonds go? Non-Roth IRAs (yes I have some here too)? After tax accounts (yes I have some here too).

Most of my bonds and value stocks are in IRAs because they are not as tax efficient as stock index funds, or at least that is my rational. Is that crazy? Question for the pros: where are your bonds?

Leave a comment:

• PHANTASOS
    replied

REITs (30%), Small Caps (20%), Total Stock Market (35%), Emerging Markets (15%)

Similar, but instead of total stock market, I have S&P500 fund (VFIAX).  This is so I can leave it on autopilot reinvesting dividends and not have to worry about creating a wash sale in my taxable account where I use total stock market (VTSAX) and large cap index (VLCAX) as tax-loss-harvesting partners.

Also, I use a small cap value fund instead of a small cap fund.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    Why are there bonds in your rIRA?

Leave a comment:

• Tangler
    replied
    In my Roth IRA:

Stocks:

Vanguard total international stock index (VTIAX)

Vanguard small-cap index fund admiral (VSMAX)

Vanguard small-cap value index fund admiral ( VSIAX)

Vanguard Mid-cap value index fund admiral (VMVAX)

Vanguard value index fund admiral shares (VVIAX)

Vanguard total stock index admiral shares (VTSAX)

Bonds:

Vanguard total bond market index admiral shares (VBTLX)

Vanguard ultra-short-term bond fund index admiral shares (VUSFX)

My total portfolio is 80-85% stocks and 15-20% bonds

Stocks are 70-30 US: international with a factor lean toward small and value

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    REITs, international small cap, and a small gamble on energy.

Leave a comment:

• JBME
    replied
    REITs (30%), Small Caps (20%), Total Stock Market (35%), Emerging Markets (15%)

Leave a comment:

• Larry Ragman
    replied
    Vanguard Target Retirement 2025. Same as my 403b, 457b, and 457f as well as my wife’s 401k and Roth. (Makes asset allocation easy.)

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Total stock and small cap.

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied

My equity is 75% total stock market and 25% International.

It is not that simple because I do not have access to VTSAX in any of my work accounts so I mimic it with the Vanguard 500 and extended market.  And in my 457 with mid and small cap funds.

Right now I have VTSAX in my Roths.  But since I have that in my taxable it may cause some TLH issues.

Question 1; What part of the total stock market should I have in the Roth?  And I can just balance that with my other account.

Question 2; What other fancy things/tilts do people use their Roths for?  I am more curious and not really planning on tilting.

Thanks for the help!

I have REITs and small value in one and the other is all small value. I've considered putting hard money loans in there too since that's my only option for a tax protected account that could hold that asset class. Right now they're in taxable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X