Announcement

Collapse

WCI Course Sale!

Fire Your Financial Advisor and Continuing Financial Education 2020 are on sale now through midnight MDT on July 13, 2020. Purchase either at 10% off and also get CFE2018, the Park City conference course, for FREE!
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/FYFASale
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/CFESale
See more
See less

International percentage

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peds
    replied

A bit surprised most are so low. ... Malkiel recommends 50/50 in in A Random Walk

hes also Chief Investment Adviser at Wealthfront but you dont see me over there.

Leave a comment:

• Drop it into MD
    replied

A bit surprised most are so low. 50% of my equities are international, so 40% of total portfolio. Malkiel recommends 50/50 in in A Random Walk

Funny that you mention that because that is what I am currently reading.  However in my opinion Malkiel is a boring author.  SO I have not gotten to his recommendation yet.

Leave a comment:

• dayman
    replied
    A bit surprised most are so low. 50% of my equities are international, so 40% of total portfolio. Malkiel recommends 50/50 in in A Random Walk

Leave a comment:

• Craigy
    replied
    0%

Leave a comment:

• Molar Mechanic
    replied
    I hold a begrudging 10%.  I figure if the preponderance of those who study finance suggest it, I should listen.

Edit:  I have no idea how I double posted 75 minutes apart.

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied

I am currently at 15% international and considering increasing to 20-25%.

I was hoping the members of the forum would not mind sharing their international percents and any opinions they have.

20% of portfolio, 1/3 of stocks.

I think the acceptable range is between 0 and 50% of stocks and personally I'd recommend 20-50% of stocks so I like your move. But there are many roads to Dublin.

For those who are reading stuff on the internet now that is the equivalent of "International stocks are a black hole" take a look at the Periodic Table of Returns.

The latest shows returns 1998 to 2017.

https://www.standard.com/eforms/13499.pdf

Precisely half the time (10/20) International Beat US. However, in the last five years, US has won 4 out of 5. I don't think I'd bet on that trend being indefinite. International will again have its time in the sun.

Here's a similar chart from 1990-2009, giving us 9 more years of data. International won 2 of those 9.

http://elmadvisors.com/wp-content/uploads/Callan_2009_yr_end_letter.pdf

The period just before then was dominated by international stocks. And before that, US. And before that, international.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4074001-u-s-vs-global-stocks-rolling-return-comparison

The message? Pick a reasonable percentage and stick with it. It'll work out.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied

I hold a begrudging 10%.  My brain tells me I shouldn’t even have that, but in deference to the professionals who advise to hold some international, I do.

lol. you sound exactly like my mom.

Leave a comment:

• Molar Mechanic
    replied
    I hold a begrudging 10%.  My brain tells me I shouldn't even have that, but in deference to the professionals who advise to hold some international, I do.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied

30%. there are endless discussion on bogleheads. literally endless. the end result is: do what you want. 
    Click to expand…

same (outside of alternatives) and agree.

my whisky collection is about 90% international, concentrated in Scotland with Japan a distant second, but I assume this is not what you meant.
    Click to expand…

No it is not but it is an interesting side note.   I have heard that there are some pretty nice Japanese whiskeys.
    Click to expand…

There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan.  However, there are so many now, that it is hard to keep track of them.  I even noticed a California distillery making their interpretation of a Japanese whisky!  It seems the liquor store is full of unknown (to me) bottles asking for a generous price for no other reason than they have Kanji on them.  The old/known favorites are hard to find and/or hard to justify the pricing.

Kinda feels like the dotcom boom or more recently the blockchain boom.
    Click to expand…

I feel like the liquor powers that be are trying to turn from whisky to tequila as the new it thing. It started several months ago, but hasnt gained much traction yet, but its coming. Not sure how it will go, but we’ll see. Would be nice to have more reasonable prices for whisky, I am not a tequila fan at all.

Dunno, I feel like the boat has already sailed on premium tequilas, too.  You know, based upon my highly scientific survey of "what is in the locked case at Total Wine and the local liquor store."

Old rum, that's where I'm banking on the next run up!  Unfortunately, I keep "liquidating" my investments there.... 

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    replied

30%. there are endless discussion on bogleheads. literally endless. the end result is: do what you want. 
    Click to expand…

my whisky collection is about 90% international, concentrated in Scotland with Japan a distant second, but I assume this is not what you meant.
    Click to expand…

No it is not but it is an interesting side note.   I have heard that there are some pretty nice Japanese whiskeys.
    Click to expand…

There are some great whiskies coming out of Japan.  However, there are so many now, that it is hard to keep track of them.  I even noticed a California distillery making their interpretation of a Japanese whisky!  It seems the liquor store is full of unknown (to me) bottles asking for a generous price for no other reason than they have Kanji on them.  The old/known favorites are hard to find and/or hard to justify the pricing.

I feel like the liquor powers that be are trying to turn from whisky to tequila as the new it thing. It started several months ago, but hasnt gained much traction yet, but its coming. Not sure how it will go, but we'll see. Would be nice to have more reasonable prices for whisky, I am not a tequila fan at all.

Leave a comment:

• jz
    replied
    I use EM and Foreign alot in my AA.  EM volatility fits my investing style. For 20+ years, I've used VWILX as a combo Foreign and EM; it is an actively managed fund that has outperformed passives  3/4 years.

Taxable #1...……..EM 17% and Foreign 22%

Taxable #2...……..EM 15% and Foreign 15%

Tax Deferred TDF has 28% foreign/EM combo.

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied
    Have you read the Vanguard white paper?

Leave a comment:

• Drop it into MD
    replied

We use 20% – 25% split between emerging markets and developed markets. Just pick your allocation and stick with it. iow, don’t fool yourself into thinking that EM is “good” this year and weigh heavy in it. The beauty of rebalancing is it forces you to buy low and sell high. Nick Murray calls it the closest thing to a free lunch in the investing world.

I only am in right now for 15% because I set up a target date fund that has all my international exposure in it.  I did this prior to finding this site and had no reason to pick that amount.   I have been planning on making the switch and now seems like a good time since international took a beating this year.   I fully realize it may take a beating next year as well.

That is my plan to figure out my AA and stick with it.

I do not think I am going to have a separate fund for EM.  Just the total international.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    We use 20% - 25% split between emerging markets and developed markets. Just pick your allocation and stick with it. iow, don't fool yourself into thinking that EM is "good" this year and weigh heavy in it. The beauty of rebalancing is it forces you to buy low and sell high. Nick Murray calls it the closest thing to a free lunch in the investing world.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X