Announcement

Collapse

WCI Course Sale!

Fire Your Financial Advisor and Continuing Financial Education 2020 are on sale now through midnight MDT on July 13, 2020. Purchase either at 10% off and also get CFE2018, the Park City conference course, for FREE!
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/FYFASale
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/CFESale
See more
See less

International percentage

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hold a begrudging 10%.  My brain tells me I shouldn't even have that, but in deference to the professionals who advise to hold some international, I do.

Comment

I hold a begrudging 10%.  My brain tells me I shouldn’t even have that, but in deference to the professionals who advise to hold some international, I do.

lol. you sound exactly like my mom.

Comment

I am currently at 15% international and considering increasing to 20-25%.

I was hoping the members of the forum would not mind sharing their international percents and any opinions they have.

20% of portfolio, 1/3 of stocks.

I think the acceptable range is between 0 and 50% of stocks and personally I'd recommend 20-50% of stocks so I like your move. But there are many roads to Dublin.

For those who are reading stuff on the internet now that is the equivalent of "International stocks are a black hole" take a look at the Periodic Table of Returns.

The latest shows returns 1998 to 2017.

https://www.standard.com/eforms/13499.pdf

Precisely half the time (10/20) International Beat US. However, in the last five years, US has won 4 out of 5. I don't think I'd bet on that trend being indefinite. International will again have its time in the sun.

Here's a similar chart from 1990-2009, giving us 9 more years of data. International won 2 of those 9.

http://elmadvisors.com/wp-content/uploads/Callan_2009_yr_end_letter.pdf

The period just before then was dominated by international stocks. And before that, US. And before that, international.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4074001-u-s-vs-global-stocks-rolling-return-comparison

The message? Pick a reasonable percentage and stick with it. It'll work out.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I hold a begrudging 10%.  I figure if the preponderance of those who study finance suggest it, I should listen.

Edit:  I have no idea how I double posted 75 minutes apart.

Comment

0%

Comment

A bit surprised most are so low. 50% of my equities are international, so 40% of total portfolio. Malkiel recommends 50/50 in in A Random Walk

Comment

A bit surprised most are so low. 50% of my equities are international, so 40% of total portfolio. Malkiel recommends 50/50 in in A Random Walk

Funny that you mention that because that is what I am currently reading.  However in my opinion Malkiel is a boring author.  SO I have not gotten to his recommendation yet.

Comment

A bit surprised most are so low. ... Malkiel recommends 50/50 in in A Random Walk

hes also Chief Investment Adviser at Wealthfront but you dont see me over there.

Comment

Working...
                  X