X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Fund Investing

For those who invest in international funds (or ETFs) which vangaurd funds do you utilize in taxable account space?

Do you have any good references as why/how to invest internationally via various funds?

Thank you

Vtiax.

Comment

Vanguard total international stock index admiral shares (VTIAX)

Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFWAX)

Comment

Thank you.

I've been leaning towards (VTIAX), but have also wondered what was the rationale behind the emerging market fund (VEMAX) and developed market fund (VTMGX)?

Comment

VTIAX has somewhere between 20-25 emerging markets right now. Having some VEMAX is good if you believe emerging markets will do better (than something else) and you want more exposure to them. VTMGX instead of VTIAX if you are leery of emerging markets.

I’ve had 5% of AA in VEMAX. Going to get rid of it and just add that 5% to my VTIAX. Simplifying.

Comment

Originally posted by wfpbFI View Post
            Thank you.

I've been leaning towards (VTIAX), but have also wondered what was the rationale behind the emerging market fund (VEMAX) and developed market fund (VTMGX)?
            whats the rational behind s&p and EM when you have total US?,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post

whats the rational behind s&p and EM when you have total US?,,,,,,
              I personally prefer a simple portfolio. I currently am mostly VTSAX and a little total bond. Was listening to Rick Ferri on WCI podcast talk briefly about using International as a means of capturing other factor investments(as US is heavy tech right now) and he eluded to also using it to capture some of the same principal ideas that a small value tilt provides. I'm curious if other saw it that way as well.

In all likelihood it won't change my preferred portfolio but I always appreciate the information and rationale others utilize.

Comment

Originally posted by wfpbFI View Post

I personally prefer a simple portfolio. I currently am mostly VTSAX and a little total bond. Was listening to Rick Ferri on WCI podcast talk briefly about using International as a means of capturing other factor investments(as US is heavy tech right now) and he eluded to also using it to capture some of the same principal ideas that a small value tilt provides. I'm curious if other saw it that way as well.

In all likelihood it won't change my preferred portfolio but I always appreciate the information and rationale others utilize.
                have you read both vanguard intl white papers?

Comment

I have not. Thanks, I'll look through them tonight.

Comment

I have mine in VXUS, but dont see it mentioned. What do I not know?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaDoc View Post
                      I have mine in VXUS, but dont see it mentioned. What do I not know?
                      Class versions.

Comment

I am increasing my international exposure. Nothing crazy, going from 20% to 33% international (70:30 stock bond with 33% of the stocks in international).
                        I feel good about this. I think China or some other countries might do better than the US over the next 10-20 years. I am going with total international funds (not trying to guess which country will beat USA). I hope the US continues to outperform but I feel like we are Rome or Japan in the 1990s.

Comment

After reading the Vanguard white papers, and reading through other forum topics here and at bogleheads I feel that, at least in my opinion, international funds provide increased diversity and possibly lower overall portfolio volatility.

Even with that, I don't think I will exchange funds in my taxable for international. My plans have been built around my current portfolio. However, I am considering using new "money" to invest into a combination of more bond funds and some international index funds as an increase of diversity as I approach retiring in the next few years.

Thanks all for your opinions and references

Comment

Originally posted by Peds View Post

have you read both vanguard intl white papers?
                            Is this one of the papers you are referencing?

https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGGEB.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by extremerouge View Post

Is this one of the papers you are referencing?

https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGGEB.pdf
                              yes thats the revised one when they increased the TDF from 30 to 40%.

Comment

Working...
                              X