Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dividends

This is likely a basic question.
    have a taxable account completely in VTSAX. Looking at my 1099 div I have more ordinary dividends then qualified dividends. I thought VTSAX was almost entirely Qualified Dividend producing?
    This is my first year with the taxable account. It is because the funds were new and purchased within 60 days of the dividends? It appears as the year goes on the ratio is changing to more qualified. So next year only new funds will produce large amounts of ordinary dividends? Am I thinking about this right?

Here are the distributions
    VTSAX
    Ordinary Qualified
    03/22/2019- 315.27 295.69
    06/14/2019- 262.67 246.36
    09/13/2019- 360.37 337.99
    12/23/2019- 458.15 429.70

Thanks!

Qualified dividends are ordinary dividends.
    It's like squares and rectangles; all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares. You don't get taxed as much on squares.
    It looks like your dividends were about 94% qualified across the board.

Comment

so if I total that up it is 1396 ordinary
      and 1309 of them are qualified leaving 87 of nonqualified?

But reporting they only ask for the ordinary and the qualified.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes read it as you had 315 in dividend of which 295 was qualified.
        could be depending on trading.

Comment

Love it. Thanks!

Comment

Well at least you got your 1099 div. I am still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatton View Post
              Well at least you got your 1099 div. I am still waiting.
              From Vanguard? All were done by end of January. Apologies if you already did this, but you might check online in case you were inadvertently switched to turn off hard copy. Again, if Vanguard they have a “tax center” in your online account where all the 1099s are parked.

Comment

I am waiting for one last 1099-Div, but have three others. Pretty annoying.

Comment

For vanguard, if you have their REIT (VNQ) and perhaps some other funds your tax documents come out later.

Comment

i thought this was going to be one of those fun threads where we fight about dividends
                    my radiology group is hiring, pm if you can do msk and are interested

Comment

^^^ I'm a little sad it isn't that kind of thread...

Comment

Originally posted by jacoavlu View Post
                        i thought this was going to be one of those fun threads where we fight about dividends
                        Them’s fightin’ words! Yield is where the money is. Anything lower than 5% is a waste of everybody’s time.

Comment

Originally posted by ENT Doc View Post

Them’s fightin’ words! Yield is where the money is. Anything lower than 5% is a waste of everybody’s time.
                          The smart money is going offshore. Tax havens have tremendous advantages, unless you get caught. Those opportunities are very selective and only available to savvy marks ( err physicians).

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Ragman View Post

From Vanguard? All were done by end of January. Apologies if you already did this, but you might check online in case you were inadvertently switched to turn off hard copy. Again, if Vanguard they have a “tax center” in your online account where all the 1099s are parked.
                            Yes Vanguard. I have been checking the tax center daily. I do have VNQ. I seem to recall that it was very slow last year also.

Comment

Working...
                            X