Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The advisor is probably a licensed insurance agent, if not a dually registered advisor. Variable universal life, equity indexed life, or some variant of the name is probably the product. "Returns of the market with none of the risk". Or a newer-ish product, "buffered index/variable/equity life".

No matter the name, you don't need life insurance. You have no one dependent on your income. And if you did need insurance, any of these are not in your best interests.

Comment

Thank you all,

Have been reading Boggles post and has filled many of the small wholes I had in my understanding. Now I know indexes are the best.. would you choose more of index mutual funds or a mix of that with ETFs (SPY, VOO, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepez View Post
        Thank you all,

Have been reading Boggles post and has filled many of the small wholes I had in my understanding. Now I know indexes are the best.. would you choose more of index mutual funds or a mix of that with ETFs (SPY, VOO, etc)
        Develop a personal investment policy statement and that will answer your question. You can also read up on mutual funds vs. ETFs.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Inve...licy_statement

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/ETFs_vs_mutual_funds

Comment

Welcome!

You have the basths.down already and a Huge shovel to make hay.

What you need is a long term financial planner and wealth manager for long term strategic planning which can look very different for different people.

Bogleheads and here tend to focus primarily on equities. There's alot more in the world than that and you may want to consider that once you've built up a nice retirement cache.

Choose a flat fee advisor from this forum....well worth a sit down to planning.

Also. The biggest risk? That MBA girlfriend!....or better or worse....remember those words. Going on 21 years on our journey

Comment

I prefer mutual funds just because his easy to put in the dollar amount that I want and can automate it as I desire. Some mutual funds can have minimums however they are generally 1 to $3,000 sometimes up to $10,000 and that prevents some people from starting in these when they do not have that much to invest. Also I use vanguard mutual funds and there's very little tax difference between them and the similar exchange traded funds. Fees are also quite similar.

The difference is really are quite minimal and you could do either one I would not impact your journey to financial Independence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepez View Post
              Thank you all,

Vanguard has a patent that makes their mutual funds as tax efficient as their ETFs. Other companies may not be able to do this. So if at Vanguard, no preference. If at other institutions, then check if there would be tax advantages of one over the other. Nothing against the other institutions, I just have all my investments at Vanguard except my Fidelity HSA.

From what I have seen & read, small wonky sectors funds tend to be formulated as ETFs, so you might see some flashy gimmicky ETFs more often than mutual funds. Don't take the bait.

And as Lordosis stated, minimums are one difference. 1 ETF share is cheaper than most mutual fund minimums. But mutual funds are easier to buy whole dollar amounts of.

And while SPY & VOO are fine (thank you Jack Bogle & Warren Buffet)... is that as much market exposure you want? No international? No smaller companies? Might I suggest you look into VT & VTWAX? And maybe possibly perhaps a small cap value tilt (Paul Merriman), if so inclined, if you have the risk tolerance, if you need a modicum more excitement in your investing life. Both I mentioned prior, but just repeating for emphasis & consideration for those who may be interested.

Comment

READ"IF YOU CAN HOW MILLENIALS GET RICH SLOWLY"-online as a PDF READ AND REREAD IT AND FOLLOW THE ADVICE
                and please don't buy whole life

Comment

OP,

It sound alike you've decided against the terrible insurance, but just to make sure, have you seen this thread?

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/fo...cy-of-the-week

Comment

Buy AMD, BA, V, MU and BABA stocks. They are going to be the nice gainers of 2020. You heard it hear first...

Comment

read books by bogle, malkiel, and swedroe
                      7th grade material
                      the biggest factor is what you choose as your Asset Allocation start with 110 minus age for stock, rest in bonds, then self educate

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Sparrow View Post
                        Buy AMD, BA, V, MU and BABA stocks. They are going to be the nice gainers of 2020. You heard it hear first...
                        Sir, I'd agree with AMD, BABA, but other I am struggling with trying to understand the long term view. BA, sure the almost monopoly (not sure if there is such a thing as almost monopoly!), but V and MU there are lot of options in both cases. Lot of competition too!

Comment

Working...
                        X