What Index funds do you have in your portfolio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Index funds do you have in your portfolio

The mantra has been - do not buy individual stocks or actively managed funds but only index funds.

Well, the problem is that there are a ton of index funds. If you look at Vanguard there are 31+ index funds. And their 10 year returns are all over the map.

I am forced to move one of my former work place 401K to Vanguard. Has probably 45K. Trying to find the right mix of funds for growth and not needing to take it out for 15+ years.

So what set of index funds do people here have?

I would start with the big ones:

• Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund

• Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index Fund

• Any of the Vanguard bond funds act like an index fund (low cost, low turnover, broadly diversified) whether they say "index" in their title or not.

If you want to slice and dice your portfolio, popular choices are the Vanguard Small Value Index Fund and the REIT Index fund along with the Developed Markets Fund and Emerging Markets Index Fund.

But first you need an asset allocation before choosing investments. Then choosing investments is the easy part.

Also, be aware that rolling money from an old 401(k) to a traditional IRA at Vanguard is going to screw up your backdoor Roth IRA options. Might be better to leave it, roll it into your new 401(k), get some self-employment income and open up an individual 401(k) and roll it in there, or just pay the taxes and convert it all.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

I have TIEIX(TIAA-CREF Equity Index Fund Institutional Class), VBTIX(Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Shares) in my 403b.

And in my IRA and taxable account I have VTIAX(international), VTSAX(total stock market), VBMFX(total bond), VGSIX( REIT)

Comment

I have total market / S&P 500 (TLH partners) and 2 international funds (TLH partners) in taxable.

I have small cap value, REIT, and emerging markets in Roth.

401(k) / 457(b) have a total bond fund, mid cap index, and small cap index.

Taxable
        VFIAX
        VFWAX
        VTMGX
        VTSAX
        Roth IRA
        VSIAX
        VEMAX
        VGSLX
        401(k)
        VBMFX
        VSCIX
        457(b)
        VMCIX
        VSCIX

Comment

"Forced to" more like "have the wonderful opportunity to" move to Vanguard.   

For me:

VFIAX - Vanguard 500 Index

VMVAX - Vanguard Mid-Cap Value Index

VSMAX - Vanguard Small Cap Index

I got my employer's plan administrator to add Vanguard Small Cap Value Index too, so will be able to have that soon.

I also have some Vanguard ETFs in another account.  I still feel like I am missing something on ETFs  :P

Comment

Also, be aware that rolling money from an old 401(k) to a traditional IRA at Vanguard is going to screw up your backdoor Roth IRA options. Might be better to leave it, roll it into your new 401(k), get some self-employment income and open up an individual 401(k) and roll it in there, or just pay the taxes and convert it all.

Unfortunately the money was in a holding company who would have invested in funds of their choice by 11/25 if I had not rolled over into Vanguard.

I plan to convert all my different IRA's into Roth next year and use it mainly to leave it as inheritance. Just waiting for the right year to make sure that my tax bracket is not too high.

Comment

This is what I have (with overall percentages).  My portfolio is kind of a mess due to multiple TLH partners and so many different accounts.

401(k)/457(b)

SCHZ .1251

VIIIX .1058

SCHH .0461 

ROTH IRA

VBR .0893

VNQ .0172

VB .0131

HSA

VBMPX .0132

TAXABLE

SCHA .1385

VSS  .0982 

SCHB .0878

VWO  .0834 <--> SCHE .0087

VO .0565 <--> SCHM .0154 

SCHV .0427

VEA  .0358 <--> SCHF .0053

IWN  .0180    

Comment

My retirement accounts and largest taxable accounts are at Fidelity, so my largest pure index funds are Fidelity Spartan Index Funds: total stock market, total bond market, and total international stock. That said, my largest holdings are the DFA Core Stock II fund (including the tax managed version in my taxable account) and the Bridgeway Omni Small Cap Value fund (again including the tax managed version in my taxable account). Both of these funds were obtained when I used an advisor.

Comment

US equity:
                  VTSAX
                  FXSIX (403b)
                  TSP C

Int'l equity:
                  TSP I

Domestic fixed income (just a little):
                  BND
                  TSP G

Pretty typical, really

Comment

I wouldn’t put the REITs in taxable.

Yeah, the REIT is the IRA not in the taxable.  Also have some TIAA Real estate fund(QREARX) in 403b,.

Comment

vb
                      Vbr
                      Schc
                      Schd
                      Sche
                      Vnq
                      Vnqi
                      Rzv
                      Vti
                      Vwhex
                      Schf

Bonus individual holdings:
                      Aapl
                      Gm
                      Fcau

Can't help myself. There's a justification for all of the components - for whatever it's worth.

Comment

Any of you have index funds in a taxable portfolio for 10 years or more. Can you run a report and see what returns that they have given you.

Comment

Working...
                        X