Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not some crazy change, its certainly not detrimental, might even be beneficial...so I see nothing wrong all things considered (if the choices werent terrible). It does help you pay attention when you have something at stake.

Its like people that say to paper trade to practice for trading. What a joke, its entirely different. Im a billionaire in my paper trading account, real life results did not follow.

Comment

When it is fake you remember the successes and missed opportunities.
      When it is real the failures weigh heavier.

Comment

Actually that is why emotionally I prefer bonds in my taxable account so if the market drops my taxable doesn't do as bad as the 401K.  I know in the grand scheme of an entire portfolio it doesn't matter and may hurt a little having bonds in taxable but at my level of investing currently it makes sense to me.

Comment

So Peds called me out in the comments on the post today.  Made me realize I never finished this story for those who cared.  I asked our plan administrator about options in the 403b and they said it was funny that I mentioned it because we got new Target date vanguard funds that just went into effect.  Unfortunately I can not invest in the individual funds right now but I am using a 2060 target date which is 10% bonds  and since my 403b is half my current portfolio it gives me a 5% bond allocation.  I am happy with that for now and may need to re adjust as the parts of my portfolio outside the 403b grow larger.

Comment

Aren't you early on in career? 5% is fine for skin in the game learning. Btw 31% deduction isn't that bad of a break. Compare the bond earnings differentialbeteeen deferred and municipals. Vs taxable straight up.

We use the muni funds largely as our back up emergency as it holds minimal capital gains implications if liquidation is needed in a pinch that the LOC won't cover for whatever reason.

We are eyeing a property right now that's interesting and may dip into another RE

Comment

Lol wasnt a call out so much as your statement was wrong ?

You do you!

Comment

Btw 31% deduction isn’t that bad of a break.

The only way I get 31% is 24 fed and 7% state. and the only fund available is a NYS long term muni fund.  However After looking at it the duration is shorter then the total bond fund.  I had not really considered it but I will investigate if I need some taxable space.

Comment

Lol wasnt a call out so much as your statement was wrong

You do you!

Haha it is hard to cherry pick the future.

I agree bond can outperform if stocks do so awful.  I will be eternally grateful to you for my 5% bond allocation :P

Comment

FLP you mentioned putting bonds into taxable account if IRA bond choices stink. So, my question: What vanguard bond funds do you like for taxable accounts? Anyone have some vanguard bond funds they like for taxable accounts? Thanks!

Comment

Vwiux.

Comment

Working...
                      X