Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you invest any differently if you had $10 million?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Crap can you adopt me and my family please??  Peds might want in on this too!

LOL

Comment

I am just surprised that someone can confidently say that such an addition at your present age would not alter your previously made plans.

yup.

my plan is my plan. always a combo of need/willingness/ability to take risk.

that amount of money right now would change my work/vacation life however.

but investments, no more than the few minutes it would take to update my spreadsheets.

Comment

Peds might want in on this too!

pass. too many existential questions...

Comment

Since $10M is so far beyond my FI number, I could stand to lose over half of that and not even sweat it.  I’d be willing to take MORE risk once I had that kind of downside protection.

That's what my buddy who does financial investing said. I asked if he does bonds. He said, he could take the hit. Then I thought, I could take the hit too. I mean fiscally I could take the hit. Emotionally, that's different. Right?

Comment

At $10M, no change.

At enough to do direct investing in real estate while remaining diversified and not paying too much, % wise, in fees, I would do real estate. At enough to get into good private equity deals, I would look at them.

Since I have no intention of managing a real estate portfolio myself and successful PE managers require minimum investments of way over $10M, I doubt I will ever do either.

Comment

Only point of 'maybe' changing with a 9 figure NW is an additional amount to RE (my home is our only RE asset currently).

Comment

Only point of ‘maybe’ changing with a 9 figure NW is an additional amount to RE (my home is our only RE asset currently).

You would wait until you get to 100 million before you add some extra RE?  That seems a little weird.  50 million just not enough to take the plunge?

Comment

I am not sure if I would enter RE with any amount of money.  Seems like a hassle no matter which way you slice it.

Direct RE- If I am worth 8 figures I am not plunging any toilet but my own and maybe not even that one

Direct RE with hireling- You need to get to the point where this makes sense to afford someone and vet them and all the other research that goes into choosing properties and finding tenants are the same.

Crowdfunding-  Lets see how these companies do after the next bit of turbulence.

VTSAX- I could almost double my lifestyle off the dividends alone.  It will likely grow tremendously with no work from me.  Very easy to divide it up to my heirs and charity at my demise.

Comment

at that point, different opportunities become available to you.  i don't know how i wouldn't invest differently.

Comment

My investing wouldn't change. I would increase my umbrella insurance, though.

Comment

50 million just not enough to take the plunge?

If I had a 5% allocation to RE.  With a 10 Million portfolio, that is $500K.  With a $300K primary residence (counted as a RE allocation), though not a 'investment asset', then you have $200K left with opportunity to have RE as an 'investment asset'.  Not thinking I would get the diversification and risk/reward for the additional time for what is essentially a small part of the portfolio.  REIT in taxable, no thank you.  Not worth the hassle relative to the overall portfolio.

Comment

No change. Why would I take “less” risk when I have more of a cushion from market fluctuations given larger portfolio? I think if anything I would take more risk...

Comment

RETIRE

Comment

I agree with FLP and someone else who posted above. The more money you have, the more risk you can tolerate, although I also get that you don’t necessarily need to rake as much risk.

So guaranteed (municipal bond-level) lower returns because you don’t need it to grow? Or likely better growth and much higher risk, possibly losing 40% which still wouldn’t be a big deal?

I’m 100% equity now and I think I would be at that level as well. I too should theoretically hit the mark around the age of 45 so it’s not exactly hypothetical for me; we’ll see what I actually do when the time comes. I think income level and expected returns are so unpredictable, I’m not counting on it at that age.

Comment

It depends on how much time, I have to invest.

If I have 10+ yrs to go, I would be heavy in stocks.  If I have <5 yrs left, I would be heavy in bonds or safer assets.

Money is still money, losing 50% is still painful even if we don't plan to use it.

Comment

Working...
                                X