Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you invest any differently if you had $10 million?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you invest any differently if you had $10 million?

Would you invest any differently if you had $10 million (not including your home)? If so, how would invest this?

no.

Comment

Yes

Comment

I do and will continue to reduce exposure to risk assets as my nest egg grows. At $10M, I would be 40-50% in stocks.

Comment

I do and will continue to reduce exposure to risk assets as my nest egg grows. At $10M, I would be 40-50% in stocks.

When you say "as it grows", do you really mean no matter how much it grows?  Is there an inflexion point where it changes?  For example, at 20 million, I'd probably have a lower percentage in bonds than at 10 million (but I would have a higher absolute amount in bonds).

I'm pretty sure for most people there ought to be.  I suppose it maybe so high that you think you may never reach it.

Comment

I would strive to be more diversified.

More real estate or closely-held business.

I would not want to be 100% in securities at that point.

Comment

Since $10M is so far beyond my FI number, I could stand to lose over half of that and not even sweat it.  I'd be willing to take MORE risk once I had that kind of downside protection.

Comment

Would you invest any differently if you had $10 million (not including your home)? If so, how would invest this?

Is this question rooted in your personal 10 million dollar dream?

Comment

Click to expand…

I would say more of a benchmark than dream.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

That definitely sounds more attainable than a dream.  At what age will you be there?  normal retirement age 65 ? Or before

Comment

no.

I am not surprised at the length of your answer but somewhat surprised by the content.

I would take some chips off the table at that point.  Right now being 100% equity my plan is to diversify into bonds when I hit 1M or age 40 whichever comes first.  When I get to age 50 or 2.5M I will move to 20-25%.  Then increase a little further 30-35% when I anticipate retirement in the next 5 years.

The addition of 10 million would push me to those goals.  How much depends if I retire or not.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

That definitely sounds more attainable than a dream.  At what age will you be there?  normal retirement age 65 ? Or before

Assuming current income and 6% growth I should reach it by 45.

Comment

but somewhat surprised by the content.

why? my plan is different than yours.

Comment

Holy Crap can you adopt me and my family please??  Peds might want in on this too!

Comment

but somewhat surprised by the content. 
                              Click to expand…

why? my plan is different than yours.

I am just surprised that someone can confidently say that such an addition at your present age would not alter your previously made plans.

If anyone could stay the course it would of course be you Peds!

Comment

Working...
                              X