Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good financial movie suggestions?

Hello,

There are many fiction films as well as documentaries on Wall Street and other financial oriented themes. Any good films you would recommend for a typical , newbie doc investor trying to educate himself on the reality of our current financial systems?

Would love to watch some of these. So many to choose from in Netflx and iTunes. Anybody watch The China Hustle? The Big Short? New or old film suggestions are welcome but would probably prefer contemporary films .

Many thanks.

Tulip Fever
    Broke (espn)

Dont know if these are too old:
    Boiler room
    And of course Wall Street

Comment

The Big Short was great

Wolf of Wall Street

All the Money in the World--not directly about money but about a very rich man and how he handled his money and the situation of his grandson being kidnapped and held for ransom. Interesting to think about how you would handle the same situation. Also interesting that many people don't even know who JPaul Getty was just 40some years later, unless they've been to the museum

Comment

I was gonna say the ‘Wolf of Wall street’ too

Comment

Playing with FIRE is in theaters now, by private engagement. See https://www.tugg.com/titles/playing-with-fire

Comment

trading places

Comment

...newbie doc investor trying to educate himself ...

Turn off the TV or YouTube if you are trying to learn. Writing is the highest form of communication for a reason. You want books.

Pursuit of Happiness or Jerry Maguire are good... reminds you of how important the "why" reasoning is to success and how that is critical in fighting through tough times.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is good too. It is a funny date night movie that has nothing to do with money, but that's the point. It will leave you thinking of how you'd act if any work is only done for satisfaction/altruism... and money isn't worth anything.

...But, like all movies, they're just an escape and maybe an inspiration, not informational or realistic or something to model. Books and mentors are what you will learn the most from in terms of practical financial info and patterns to model. GL

Comment

trading places

Looking good, Billy Ray!
                I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Wolf of Wallstreet. Love that movie!  The Big Short.

Wall Street. Oldie but goodie.

Glengarry Glen Ross

Margin Call

Comment

trading places
                    Click to expand…

Looking good, Billy Ray!

Feeling good, Lewis!

1.  Trading Places

2.  Big Short

3.  Wall Street

4.  Boiler Room

Comment

I do not think you will learn very much from watching movies but Trading Places is my favorite of the ones mentioned.  I insist on watching it every xmas to my wife's chagrin.

Comment

Oh I beg to differ. I think Trading Places offers more financial education than most of the other films, which are largely driven by big personalities saying and doing intimidating things.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trading-places-frozen-concentrated-orange-juice-trade-explained-2013-7

Comment

Well, I think Trading Places is my film tonight!

Comment

Oh I beg to differ. I think Trading Places offers more financial education than most of the other films, which are largely driven by big personalities saying and doing intimidating things.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trading-places-frozen-concentrated-orange-juice-trade-explained-2013-7

I did appreciate it way more this past year then ever before now that I have an understanding of the stock market.

Well, I think Trading Places is my film tonight!

If it is your first time you are in for a real treat!

Comment

Just don’t watch it with kids nearby.

Comment

Working...
                              X