No announcement yet.

What to do with spousal income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any naysayers to her working, let's see you stay at home with your children for a few years while your spouse works your typical 40-80+ hour workweek (don't forget evenings and weekends in that!), then come back and report...ha!

Comment

I had to wait 2 months to get licensed and credentialed in my new state after residency.  We only had one kid at the time but it was still a tough 2 months.  It sounds ridiculous to say it but work life balance swings both ways.

Comment

Hey. The elephant is in the room.

Match!
        Why treat your spouse differently than your kids learning to earn and save?
        Why not show your appreciation by giving her a separate account to simply “waste” and “match it 100% “.
        Spousal bonus plan!

Comment

Hey. The elephant is in the room.

Match!
          Why treat your spouse differently than your kids learning to earn and save?
          Why not show your appreciation by giving her a separate account to simply “waste” and “match it 100% “.
          Spousal bonus plan!

From my experience spouses do not enjoy being treated like kids. :/

Comment

Yes, but anyone likes having funds to spend on just themselves without a care in the world.

Comment

Yes, but anyone likes having funds to spend on just themselves without a care in the world.

:lol:

Comment

I wish I had such an allowance.

I am in the our money camp.  I make a lot more then my wife but I do not consider any part of that money specifically for me.   She does not consider the money she makes for her.  It all goes to the same checking account and then we siphon off the savings and spend what we want.  Usually there is more to save after that.

I do not buy very much without thinking things through and usually my wife is the one who talks me into spending money on myself.  My wife is the same way.

Comment

Yeppers. In my naive youth I would never have believed in the “patriarchy”, but this conversation is just dripping with it. Like calling someone a “male nurse”, discussing whether the at-home spouse ought to work for pay, or whether their work will fail to cover expenses like work clothing and daycare and tax burdens that are high because of the primary earner’s high taxable income, has its roots in that whole systemic bias, I’m sorry to say. And I do apologize, that “dawkter” spelling is an old habit. I’ve been chatting for over a decade with a group of physician spouses, a group to which most have cleaved while our medically-entrenched significant others were mere residents but still quite full of themselves because of their profession. In that group we frequently distinguish between “doctor” as a profession and/or honorific, and “dawkter” as a loved one who sometimes gets too big for his or her britches. I’m also very sorry for the expletive! Promise I’m not a cusser, but dang. Sometimes a phrase just fits, LOL.

Out of curiosity what was the spouse equivalent of "dawkter" in your chat group?  Asking for a friend.

Comment

Yeppers. In my naive youth I would never have believed in the “patriarchy”, but this conversation is just dripping with it. Like calling someone a “male nurse”, discussing whether the at-home spouse ought to work for pay, or whether their work will fail to cover expenses like work clothing and daycare and tax burdens that are high because of the primary earner’s high taxable income, has its roots in that whole systemic bias, I’m sorry to say. And I do apologize, that “dawkter” spelling is an old habit. I’ve been chatting for over a decade with a group of physician spouses, a group to which most have cleaved while our medically-entrenched significant others were mere residents but still quite full of themselves because of their profession. In that group we frequently distinguish between “doctor” as a profession and/or honorific, and “dawkter” as a loved one who sometimes gets too big for his or her britches. I’m also very sorry for the expletive! Promise I’m not a cusser, but dang. Sometimes a phrase just fits, LOL. 
                    Click to expand…

Out of curiosity what was the spouse equivalent of “dawkter” in your chat group?  Asking for a friend.

That's a fascinating question that displays an utter lack of understanding of the context of the term. I mean, it's not a problem, I don't always understand the jargon inherent to groups I don't belong to either! And it's generally polite NOT to use jargon out of context, so I'll try to refrain in the future.

Comment

That’s a fascinating question that displays an utter lack of understanding of the context of the term. I mean, it’s not a problem, I don’t always understand the jargon inherent to groups I don’t belong to either! And it’s generally polite NOT to use jargon out of context, so I’ll try to refrain in the future.

Oh, I think I understand it.  Of course, if you would like to clear it up to improve my understanding, I'm all ears.

I think the real problem might be is that sometimes when you're in a group of very like-minded individuals as you describe, you develop a perspective with significant bias which gets reinforced by the group because everyone has a shared common experience.   Such groups certainly have value, but the problem is that looking at certain issues from a different perspective becomes nearly impossible.

That probably also happens here at WCI quite a bit I'm sure.

Comment

That probably also happens here at WCI quite a bit I’m sure.
                        Rent until you are financially independent.
                        3 fund portfolio
                        Be insured with the right kind of insurance
                        DIY investing

I am sure there are many more repeated themes.

Comment

Rent until you are financially independent.
                          3 fund portfolio
                          Be insured with the right kind of insurance
                          DIY investing

I am sure there are many more repeated themes.

Who says rent until you are financially independent?

Comment

Maybe a bit. :lol:

Comment

Click to expand…

I wish I had such an allowance.

I am in the our money camp.  I make a lot more then my wife but I do not consider any part of that money specifically for me.   She does not consider the money she makes for her.  It all goes to the same checking account and then we siphon off the savings and spend what we want.  Usually there is more to save after that.

I do not buy very much without thinking things through and usually my wife is the one who talks me into spending money on myself.  My wife is the same way.

My house as well, to the letter.

Comment

When my wife went back to work we had a conversation about the issue of ours and hers. Intellectually she believes its all ours regardless of earner. Emotionally she wanted some of her own money. I tried explaining she should put it all in her 401K to minimize total taxes. I only convinced her when we changed the framework. Her paycheck now goes to the 401K which reduces the overall tax burden. She claims an equivalent amount from our account to. spend as she desires. Interestingly, she doesn’t spend that much on herself

Comment

Working...
                                X