Announcement

Collapse

WCI Course Sale!

Fire Your Financial Advisor and Continuing Financial Education 2020 are on sale now through midnight MDT on July 13, 2020. Purchase either at 10% off and also get CFE2018, the Park City conference course, for FREE!
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/FYFASale
www.whitecoatinvestor.com/CFESale
See more
See less

vanguard muni bond funds

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vanguard muni bond funds

Any advice for type of Vanguard muni fund for taxable brokerage account?

Intermediate term? Long term?

I am 46 and plan to work and contribute to my assets for at least another dozen years, fwiw...

Thanks!!

Dean T

Inter term TE.
    Also depends on state.

Comment

Thanks -

I am in WI, so I dont think I can take particular advantage of the state specific ones that I saw offered by Vanguard...

Comment

I use the intermediate term muni fund

Comment

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/list?assetclass=bond&taxeff=xmpt#/mutual-funds/asset-class/month-end-returns

I used to use the intermediate term tax exempt fund, but have recently changed to the vanguard state tax exempt fund to see if it will save me more on my state taxes.   I was just looking at this list again though and didn't realize that they had a high yield tax exempt fund, may be interested in trying that if you can tolerate the increased risk.

Comment

high yield tax exempt fund, may be interested in trying that if you can tolerate the increased risk.

Don't reach for yield in bonds.  Buy bonds for safety and ballast, buy stock for risk / yield.

William Bernstein makes a pretty good case that you don't want to buy junk bonds for the long term.  The ratings scales used by Fitch, Moody's, and the other bonds raters are different for government versus corporate debt.  A lower rated but still investment grade government bond is far less risky than an apparently higher rated corporate bond.  Different scales, different risks.

Comment

Working...
            X