X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artemis View Post
    If you're sure you're only going to be participating in the plan for 3 years, I'd suggest picking CBALX (as it has one of the lower ERs on your list, and appears to be reasonably stock-heavy) and putting 100% of your contributions into that. The fund's long-term performance doesn't matter so much, as you are going to be rolling it over into another retirement account soon.
    This seems to parallel the S&P 500. Less volatility (less drop and less gain).

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look through each of the Templeton plans but my cursory look yesterday wasn't encouraging. Some good news, though, is that the 457 is considered a government plan and can be rolled over into any other retirement account when I leave the company (confirmed with the plan vendor who said it's "quasi-governmental" and he hasn't had any issues w/ it being rolled over). The funds available to me there include the following Vanguard index funds: VFINX, VEIEX, NAESX, VBMFX, and VGTSX (but the offering sheet is from 2015 so... I'm not sure, I see that VFINX is now closed). Anyhow if there's something resembling those Vanguard index funds available to me in the 457, should I rather than maxing out my 403b, only put enough in to make my 5% match and then dump the rest (and try to max) the 457 instead? That seems to make the most sense to me given they are both tax advantaged accounts with (at least to my novice eyes) similar behavior. Fully vested in both automatically anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by terrylikesyogurt View Post
        Anyhow if there's something resembling those Vanguard index funds available to me in the 457, should I rather than maxing out my 403b, only put enough in to make my 5% match and then dump the rest (and try to max) the 457 instead? That seems to make the most sense to me given they are both tax advantaged accounts with (at least to my novice eyes) similar behavior. Fully vested in both automatically anyway.
        As long as the 457b is governmental, maxing out it and only putting enough in the 403b to get the match (assuming you can't afford to max out both) is the way to go if the funds in the 457b are better. But you want to be 100% SURE that 457b can be rolled over into another retirement account when you leave!

Comment

"contribute to 403b beyond match or contribute to 457b?" is a false choice. Max out both. They're both great options, way better than investing in a taxable account.

govt 457b's can be rolled over to a solo 401k, or any other 401k than takes rollovers.

Comment

The IRS doesn’t have penalties on 457 early withdrawals. Gov and NG have substantially different rollover options. Each plan has a unique set of withdrawal options. Look at the SPD, get it from HR. Most have 3 options: cash, defined payments or defer to retirement. Some force you out. You need the SPD.

Priorities for different allocations, WCI has some waterfall charts that may help.
            https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/fi...nd-attendings/

Comment

Thanks for everything so far. I confirmed that the 457 plan is "eligible for rollover to a qualified plan upon severance of service. It can roll to any qualified plan (IRA or an employer sponsored plan that allow rollovers in)." So I anticipate that upon leaving the employer it would be rolling over into an IRA that I would covert into a Roth. Included in the funds available are the following Vanguard Index Funds:

Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Adm Intermediate-Term Bond __________
              Vanguard Emerging Mkts Stock Idx Adm Emerging Markets __________
              Vanguard 500 Index Admiral Large Blend __________
              Vanguard Small Cap Index Adm Small Blend __________
              Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Admiral Foreign Large Blend __________
              Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx Adm Large Blend

My 401a (employer 10% match) is already in an S&P500 index fund w/ BlackRock - we decided not to diversify within that retirement account to keep things simple. With this 457 there are a lot of good options. Since I'm not sure if I'll be w/ them for more than 1-2 years, again, keep it simple and just go w/ 100% VTSAX, or since I'm starting to allocate more of my income would I benefit from adding some diversity at this point? I guess I'll have to cross this bridge again when I leave and roll it over at Vanguard or Fidelity or wherever I open it so I would like to start thinking about it now.

Comment

I don't think it's going to matter much in the long run, so choose the funds you prefer. At least you have some very good ones to choose from!

Comment

Originally posted by terrylikesyogurt View Post
                  Thanks for everything so far. I confirmed that the 457 plan is "eligible for rollover to a qualified plan upon severance of service. It can roll to any qualified plan (IRA or an employer sponsored plan that allow rollovers in)." So I anticipate that upon leaving the employer it would be rolling over into an IRA that I would covert into a Roth. Included in the funds available are the following Vanguard Index Funds:

Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Adm Intermediate-Term Bond __________
                  Vanguard Emerging Mkts Stock Idx Adm Emerging Markets __________
                  Vanguard 500 Index Admiral Large Blend __________
                  Vanguard Small Cap Index Adm Small Blend __________
                  Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Admiral Foreign Large Blend __________
                  Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx Adm Large Blend

My 401a (employer 10% match) is already in an S&P500 index fund w/ BlackRock - we decided not to diversify within that retirement account to keep things simple. With this 457 there are a lot of good options. Since I'm not sure if I'll be w/ them for more than 1-2 years, again, keep it simple and just go w/ 100% VTSAX, or since I'm starting to allocate more of my income would I benefit from adding some diversity at this point? I guess I'll have to cross this bridge again when I leave and roll it over at Vanguard or Fidelity or wherever I open it so I would like to start thinking about it now.
                  Can't go wrong with VTSAX
                  In terms of rollover, you would be able to roll into the side practice solo 401k no need for doing some sort of roth conversion

Comment

Oh that's right, even better. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                    X